''Window File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run
properly have been replaced with
unrecognized version. To maintain system
stability, Windows must restore the original
versions of these files.

Insert your CD now.''

Retry More Information Cancel

Unfortunately, my computer never came with the installation CD's when I bought it @ Best Buy. They came pre-loaded (I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RA820G). I tried doing the Windows System Restore, but somehow I don't have a restore point established except after the files were already compressed.

Please HELP!
That message is still on my screen as we speak. I tried hitting cancel but it threatened that Windows may become unstable.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows File Protection After Compressing C: Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows File Protection After Compressing C: Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I'd do...
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2006 3:27 PM PDT

1.) Just click cancel for now...you can't comply and insert the XP CD at this point so there's no reason to leave the message on the screen. Although Windows could become unstable it really shouldn't, and besides, clicking Cancel wouldn't actually make a difference...the 'damage' has already been done, so Windows is already 'unstable.' (I never have liked that warning.)

2.) You can try going to C:\, right-clicking on the folder Windows, selecting Properties, clicking Advanced, unchecking the box next to "compress contents to save disk space," and OKing your way out...that should make it happy.

3.) New computers aren't coming with the CDs anymore. Instead the manufacturer wants you to burn them yourself...there should be something in the Start Menu about burning system recovery disks...choose that option and burn a set of CDs. (It burns them from a hidden recovery partition containing the CD data.) You can then use them to resolve this issue or any future problems that come up.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Followed your advice
by alber008 / June 30, 2006 3:27 PM PDT
In reply to: What I'd do...

I followed your first 2 advices. So far nothing bad happened.
Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Up the creek without a disk..
by PKsteven / June 30, 2006 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Followed your advice

Well to be honest and some opinions may vary but I would never suggest a complete or system file compression. If your drive is that low, you need another if you have to compress the system files.

Also, try going to start|run type in cmd and then type sfc /quiet.(this will fix files if possible without bugging you) And|or type sfc /cancel.(this will cancel the WFC)so perhaps you can move on to uncompress your system files. Note: Notice the space between sfc and /slash.

Can you right click the drive and uncheck compress disk? In truth there isn't a lot that can be done. Folder and file compressions are one thing but your whole drive is another and has actually proven to slow perfomance. Also, forget upgrades.

Paul

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!