Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Windows file finder...Big Prob!.. SFC HELP!!!!

After I installed a windows update (to protect from
security threats, etc.), my system went haywire!
A homepage hijacker--downloader trojan--infected
my computer. I immediately removed the xp hotfix,
scanned with AVG (The virus is in the virus vault.)
I also took extra precautions and scanned with spybot, spysweeper, Norton, and Adaware!!! I'm a safe kind of person :op Oh, and also Hijack This!!!! There is no trace of that sucker now; however, in the midst of the
confusion, my windows file finder alert popped up
and said certain important files have been replaced.
Here's the problem: How do I use the SFC tool properly? I have gone to cmd.exe, typed in sfc/ scannow, it asks for my xp disk, I put it in, it scans, and after about 10 min. it stops...nothing. Shouldn't it come back up and say everything has been fixed? What now? Thanks in advance. Becca73 (rich'sgirl)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows file finder...Big Prob!.. SFC HELP!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows file finder...Big Prob!.. SFC HELP!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really

In reply to: Windows file finder...Big Prob!.. SFC HELP!!!!

SFC will fix things and then just close (as opposed to the plumber who wont leave until you pay him!)
I imaine everytime I hear the CD whirling that SFC has found and is fixing something)

Collapse -
TYPO imaine is IMAGINE (nt)

In reply to: Not really

`

Collapse -
Re: TYPO imaine is IMAGINE (nt)

In reply to: TYPO imaine is IMAGINE (nt)

I guess it worked; I didn't get
another error message:o)
Thanx, Becca73

Collapse -
Happens!

In reply to: Re: TYPO imaine is IMAGINE (nt)

After I installed a windows update (to protect from
security threats, etc.), my system went haywire!
A homepage hijacker--downloader trojan--infected
my computer. I immediately removed the xp hotfix,

Download the patch described in the Microsoft article, "MS03-039: A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS Could Allow an Attacker to Run Malicious Programs (Q824146)" (a 1,508Kb file) for the applicable version of WinXP used and keep it on hand and install before ever accessing the Internet. Should you format and reinstall XP at a later date, then install the patch.
Collapse -
Re: Thanks.

In reply to: Happens!

Thanks for the info., by the way,even after I removed
the hotfix, I noticed a considerable loss in disk space. Is there a way to reclaim some space?

Collapse -
''Disk Cleanup''

In reply to: Re: Thanks.

1. The Disk Cleanup (Cleanmgr.exe) tool includes one confusing option that can leave an inordinate amount of wasted space on you hard drive. When run, one of the available options offers to delete Temporary files. Unfortunately, this option may display a value of zero even if your Temporary folder contains hundreds of useless files since this value lists only file in that folder with a date more than one week old. Therefore, if files still exists after using the tool, you may at your convenience delete any and all files unnecessary.

2. The article [Q310312] states the Disk Cleanup tool helps you free up space on your hard disk by searching your disk for files that you can safely delete. You can choose to delete some or all of the files as follows:

Remove temporary Internet files.

Remove downloaded program files. For example, ActiveX controls and Java applets that are downloaded from the Internet.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Remove Windows temporary files.

Remove optional Windows components that you are not using.

Remove installed programs that you no longer use.

Note: If you start the Disk Cleanup utility and click the Disk Cleanup tab, a System Restore: Obsolete Data Stores entry is available. These are files that were created before reformatting or reinstalling Windows, and are obsolete and can safely be deleted. If you choose to cleanup and delete these files, you will no longer see them or this mentioned option again.

3. The article [Q315246] describes how to use command-line options to configure the Disk Cleanup tool (options) to automatically clean up certain files by using the Scheduled Tasks tool.

4. The articles [Q812248] and [Q812930] state the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding (hang) and you may receive the following message -- that would require an edit of the system registry to correct.

Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:).
This may take a few minutes to complete.
Scanning: Compress old files

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress Old Files

Note: Two important things to know is that the system registry copies changes immediately and there is no Undo command. The editor does not wait for a Save to be issued since it does not have one and therefore makes changes permanent as they happen -- you make a change it's gone forever unless you remember it or have already backed up a copy. Use the editor sparingly and soberly and do not leave it open unnecessarily.

a. Click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

Note: Click the "Plus" before each of the words preceded by a back-slash in the above registry address until you reach Compress Old Files, which you will then bold/highlight by clicking.

b. From the Main menu, click Edit, Delete, or after an entry has been bolded simply press the Del key on the keypad and respond with an affirmative.

Collapse -
Re: ''Disk Cleanup''

In reply to: ''Disk Cleanup''

Thanks a lot!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.