Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows file and printer sharing (IPX) slow

by tai4ji2x / October 29, 2005 7:33 AM PDT

i'm a cable subscriber, and i have two winXP computers with distinct IP addresses connected via hub (no need for router). my windows file sharing is disabled for
TCP/IP (internet only) but is enabled over IPX internally at home.

i recently sent in one of the systems (laptop) for warranty service. nothing really changed except that i used the laptop's harddrive in an external enclosure so that i could access files while my laptop was being
serviced. except - i had to give permission ownership on the "documents and settings" folder on the laptop HD in order to access things from the other computer.

upon getting back my laptop, i put the HD back in, everything boots like normal, everything runs like normal... EXCEPT now trying to share folders or even navigate each computer's shares has huge delays, and i can't even transfer any files... all i get is an hourglass cursor...

the same goes with printing which is also shared - it now takes about 10 MINUTES for the print request to even go through...

it USED to be instantaneous, smooth lovely... but NOW... ;,,(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows file and printer sharing (IPX) slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows file and printer sharing (IPX) slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IPX and TCP/IP
by Merl Priester / October 29, 2005 7:44 AM PDT

TCP/IP is what gets IP addresses.
If you have no router, tnen are you using the internet on one only? And it has 2 network cards, one for internet the other for the LAN to the Laptop using IPX?

XP likes to have TCP/IP only. I don't know how your system is hooked up, and quite possibly it was kosher, but it sounds like your network is a might strange.

Use a router to the cable and then hook both computers into the router and set TCP/IP to automatic, let the router provide IP addresses.

Remove all network protocols except for TCP/IP.
Now try troublshooting the problem.

This is a standard hookup and works when all the bugs are out.

Collapse -
more details...
by tai4ji2x / October 29, 2005 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: IPX and TCP/IP

well, it was ''kosher'' before. had it running this way for years. no, i only have one network card for each computer. they have both TCP/IP and IPX protocols installed but only IPX has file and printer sharing enabled on it (under control panel->network connections->advanced->advanced settings->binding for local area connection, you have the option of ''binding'' the network services to specific protocals). i don't need a router because i purchased extra IP addresses from my cable provider (no need for a router to assign internal home-network-only IP addresses, nor any port forwarding), so all i need is my cable to be connected to the hub uplink port. theoretically, this way just allowed for some extra security in that outside (internet, TCP/IP-based) computers couldn't access my windows file shares

Collapse -
correction
by tai4ji2x / October 29, 2005 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: more details...

"theoretically, this way allowed for some extra security in that outside (internet, TCP/IP-based) computers couldn't access my windows file shares"

Collapse -
I understand your setup
by Merl Priester / October 29, 2005 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: correction

So now that I understand, I have no idea why your having the lag problem.

Antivirus and Internet security software can cause this.
Have you tried removing the software to see if the problem goes away?

Grasping at straws....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!