General discussion

Windows Fax Service Problem

Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

The Windows Fax Services has been installed, and I am able to receive and sent faxes. However, there is a problem.

There have been calls from non-fax numbers (i.e. phone callers dialled wrong numbers) and when this happend, there is a pop up message, with an exclaimation mark in a triangle, stating that '' An attempt to receive a fax has failed. An error occurred while receiving a fax.
When this happens, I am not able to receive further faxes unless and until I close the warning message, which of course is not possible if the computer is not attended. How do I get around this problem ? Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Fax Service Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Fax Service Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
As far as I know...

That's a limitation of the free XP Fax software. A fix will have to come from Microsoft and I don't see one.

Did you call it in?

Bob

- Collapse -
Call in to MS.

Thanks. Have not thought of that. I was hopeing some users will response, even to say that they have no problems with non-fax calls tying up the connection. Surely this is a common problem ?

christy

- Collapse -
Here's why it's not defined as a "problem."

The software was not meant to be a replacement for a faxmachine or for unattended operation. Nowhere does it claim this. If the free MS Fax is working, you may want to explore acquiring Winfax.

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/winxpfax.htm notes most of what is known and a link to the Microsoft Fax newsgroup.

Bob

- Collapse -
It's not a problem...

It's not going to be fixed....typical of MS. Anyway, thanks for the link.

christy

- Collapse -
Just so you understand.

Microsoft has to be convinced it's a bonafide bug and not a feature request. You are asking for it to become a fax machine (unattended) and that's not a bug, a problem but a feature request.

You'll see this view on many softwares and software makers.

Bob

- Collapse -
I will have to work around it....

......maybe find a modem that will reboot when there is no activity for say three minutes after being connected. Is there such a modem ? Or maybe I can send the computer to sleep, and wake on modem ring, answer the fax call, then the computer will automatically sleep when there is no activity, whereby the modem will disconnect.....and then wake up on modem ring ? Something like that. Have to work it out. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

christy

- Collapse -
Look at other fax software.

Some like Winfax.

- Collapse -
Yes....

Thanks. I am familar with WinFax Pro by Symantec. Used at the office. Just thought I can use the Windows fax for a change at home, and for free. Too late to ask Santa now ! Sad

christy

CNET Forums

Forum Info