General discussion

Windows Explorer Runs Slooooows

I upgraded my Dell 2 Duo Core, P8600 running at 2.4 MHz, 64 bit machine, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB Hard Drive (294GB free) and an external Seagate 1.5 TB drive (.5 TB free) from Vista to Windows 7.

When I run Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) on the Seagate or a NexStar portable 320 GB, the files are listed very, very slowly.

On the Seagate, when I read a directory that has about 500 GB of Data (819 files), it takes a full 3.5 minutes to read the directory! It instantly reads and lists the Name, type and size, but then for the next 3.5 minutes, it slowly fills in, line by line, the date and length.

On the NexStar, same issue, but since about 80 GB of data, only takes 35 seconds (which is still long because on my friends XP system, it just pops up).

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. (As an aside, I love Windows 7 as compared to Vista, although I did not have this issue with Vista!)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Explorer Runs Slooooows
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Explorer Runs Slooooows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That happened to me.

It took awhile to locate the motherboard drivers but still slow. Later I tried CDBURNERXP and a message came up about no compatible drives. I researched that and found that I also needed an Intel RAID driver even though I have no RAID setup. Finally the speed came back after all this.

Lesson? Microsoft is not there yet for the drivers. We get to do this just like we always have.
Bob

- Collapse -
Raid Driver
- Collapse -
This needs research.

The way I figured it out was to look at my machine's chipset. It was Intel's p965 and off to that page. I left some work for you to do. You would know what your machine is made of?
Bob

- Collapse -
Chipset

I assume an Intel P8600 - would that be it? (You can see I'm a huge techie - NOT)

- Collapse -
Found chipset

Actually, I believe my Chipset is an Intel 45 Express. I will dig. Thanks for the assist.

- Collapse -
Try that.
- Collapse -
Checked with Dell and....

From a chat with Dell, in the hopes of getting the correct RAID driver for my specific system, their response was:

Kenneth , Raid driver is required only for the computer which have 2 internal hard drives installed. Your computer has only one hard drive so there is not RAID driver available for this laptop.

Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
They mislead you.

Having done all this dozens of times now all I can do is share.

To see if this afflicts your machine, try CDBURNERXP (runs fine on 7.) If you get a message of no compatible drives, you need the Intel Raid matrix manager.

Sorry if I didn't supply links to vet my answers.
Bob

- Collapse -
CDBURNERXP runs OK

I downloaded and ran the CDBURNERXP. I ran it and it loaded OK. I did not burn any CD's otherwise

- Collapse -
The message occurs

When you go to burn media.

There may be other tests required but this is the one I use today.
Bob

- Collapse -
USB an issue?

In reading other blogs, some were pointing to the slowness of the USB utility in Windows 7. Have you heard this?

- Collapse -
Chipset Identification Utility would not run

I am logged on and have Administrator level authority. Right clicking on the file and running as administrator returns a "Program must be run as Administrator"!

- Collapse -
That's a clue.

Something is not stock here. I can't see what it is from the posts so far. Did anyone use a Windows 7 Activator?

- Collapse -
Original OEM version

First, thank you for responding to my questions.

My Windows 7 was sent by Dell, a freebie made available when I purchased the Vista machine. So I know the software is legit!

A "geek on wheels" at my poker room (?) suggested to me to go into the properties of the drive and uncheck "Index files". He notes W7 reads and indexes files, although subsequent reads were no faster. I did this last night and it did improve the time to list the directory from 3.5 minutes to 1.5 minutes, still a long time.

Since this is an external drive, I'm going to drag it down to a computer store and see if they'll let me hook it up and just read the directory. See if it's my machine or W7 in general. When I hooked it up to my wife's Vista machine (as with my Vista machine before the "upgrade" to W7), the directory just "pops" on the screen instantly.

- Collapse -
We can make it pop.

But only by telling 7 to not build thumbnails and more. Most will not consider such a change.
Bob

- Collapse -
Let's cover something off here.

"When I run Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) on the Seagate or a NexStar portable 320 GB, the files are listed very, very slowly."

External drives are slower. By about 10 times or more.

Nothing I note here will fix that. And there is a change from XP, Vista to 7 that will make this run even slower. All the file thumbnail previews require much more work and disk IO. Since USB is still 10 times slower than an internal the added work 7 does on thumbnails means it will be slower than before.

It's a shame I missed explaining that and that makers don't tell us that.
Bob

- Collapse -
I'd suggest

Open 'resource monitor" and see if you are using up all your RAM when this occurs. If so, add RAM.

Also check "task manager" to see if you have programs running in the background using up all your resources.

Are these files your using graphical in nature? A graphics card might help choose one with lots of memory.

- Collapse -
Resource Monitor activity

Thank you for weighing in on this issue.
Before I do a read of the drive
CPU 1%
Disk Activity 0%
Ram 827 MB available - 3218 in use

During the read (and remember, all I am doing is reading the directory)
CPU 27%
Disk Activity 80%
Ram - 85% - 100% (it's reading)

The names of the files - all MP4 movies - 554 GB

Task Manager does not show activity (though many programs are "running" and spikes when they do an autosave or some other background activity.

On my wife's Vista machine, reading the directory is instantaneous (as it was on my computer before I upgraded to Windows 7). I need to try this USB portable drive on another Windows 7 machine somewhere.

Thanks again

CNET Forums

Forum Info