General discussion

Windows explorer not responding

My windows explorer keeps freezing up. I constantly have to restart it. It started yesterday. I don't have a lot of programs running, usually just Firefox and Safari. I did install Norton anitvirus yesterday because I have comcast and they are doing away with McAfee.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm not sure what information is needed so just let me know and I'll post it here.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows explorer not responding
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows explorer not responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
FYI from another Comcast user

Angie, I am by no means a computer genius. But just a note from my own experience with Comcast and their upgrades. Last year when comcast was giving away free anti virus software, they offered an upgrade to McAfee. I clicked on to accept the upgrade, since I was already using it. That was the beginning of the end of my computer. Within a few days my computer crashed. comcast took no blame, I contacted McAfee they said it was caused by my laptop. I have an HP laptop and had to use HP to restore my computer. The genius in INDIA, totally erased the entire computer, said he reinstalled or fixed all my problems, but I no longer have my D drive which is the restore drive on this thing. He said I didn't need it. Anyway, I never installed McAfee again and Comcast is trying to get me to switch or use there new Norton security system. I just ignore their reminders. I purchased Norton, way before they offered it free. You know you never really get anything for free. Good luck on trying to uninstall it. Hopefully you backup your computer before you made the switch. I trust nothing Comcast tells me.

- Collapse -
1 question, 1 possible solution
- Collapse -
before

It actually started before I installed Norton.

- Collapse -
starting before install of Norton
- Collapse -
done

RKill:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
Ran as Angie on 04/29/2010 at 15:20:21.

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\Users\Angie\Downloads\rkill.exe

Rkill completed on 04/29/2010 at 15:20:39.

Malaware:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4052

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

4/29/2010 3:42:09 PM
mbam-log-2010-04-29 (15-42-09).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 122507
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 6
Files Infected: 15

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{01bcb858-2f62-4f06-a8f4-48f927c15333} (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{c9ae652b-8c99-4ac2-b556-8b501182874e} (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0fb6a909-6086-458f-bd92-1f8ee10042a0} (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{0fb6a909-6086-458f-bd92-1f8ee10042a0} (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{0fb6a909-6086-458f-bd92-1f8ee10042a0} (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{0fb6a909-6086-458f-bd92-1f8ee10042a0} (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\AutocompletePro.DLL (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AutocompletePro2_is1 (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\YVIBBBHA8C (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\QZAIB7KITK (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions\support@predictad.com (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome\content (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\defaults (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\defaults\preferences (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\AcRemoteUpdate.exe (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\AutocompletePro.dll (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\InstTracker.exe (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\TaskScheduler.dll (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\unins000.dat (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\unins000.exe (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome.manifest (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\install.rdf (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome\content\browserOverlay.xul (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome\content\options.js (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome\content\options.xul (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\chrome\content\utils.js (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AutocompletePro\support@predictad.com\defaults\preferences\predictad.js (Adware.PredictAd) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Tasks\{66BA574B-1E11-49b8-909C-8CC9E0E8E015}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Tasks\{35DC3473-A719-4d14-B7C1-FD326CA84A0C}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

SuperAntiSpyware:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/29/2010 at 04:18 PM

Application Version : 4.36.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 4868
Trace Rules Database Version: 2680

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:35:16

Memory items scanned : 904
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 524
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 20517
File threats detected : 10

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@invitemedia[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@www.burstnet[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@content.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@burstnet[2].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@adxpose[1].txt
C:\Users\Angie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\angie@statcounter[1].txt

Now I'm going to restart and see what happens :/

- Collapse -
worked

Well, that seemed to work. I restarted my computer and my windows explorer seems to be working properly.
Thanks Happy

- Collapse -
always here to help

Glad this worked for you Happy

B.

- Collapse -
sigh

Seems my message was a little premature. I came home from school and windows explorer started freezing again. I don't know what else to do

- Collapse -
pretty much eliminated the possibility

Well; we've pretty much eliminated the possibility of a virus being the cause of the 'freezing' problem, next we look at any other software changes that were done just prior to the 'freezing'.

If there were no other changes in regards to software; then we'll look into possible hardware problems, we'll need to know more about your computer (make and model #, O/S {32 or 64 bit}).

- Collapse -
computer

I have a Dell Dimension C521, Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. 4GB of RAM

It seems to be happening off and on now. When I posted, I had to restart it 5 times but it hasn't happened since then.

- Collapse -
Now that you're using windows 7

Dell recommends that you try using Windows Update (in case your drivers are out of date).
Second; when was the last time you physically opened the side of your computer case, and did a thorough cleaning inside? In many cases, heat (due to dust buildup on components)can be a major cause for computer crashes/ freezing.

- Collapse -
m

No updates available

I cleaned out the inside of my computer a few months ago. Got rid of a ton of dust

- Collapse -
Dell Diagnostic Utility

Is there a Dell Diagnostic Utility installed on your computer? If so, run it and tell us if it reports anything unusual?

Are all the fans functioning properly (are they all spinning when the machine is turned on)?

CNET Forums

Forum Info