General discussion

Windows Explorer keep fashing and not responding when

I have been trying to open a zip file that came through a email( which I don't know any thing about these kind of files)
the taskbar ends up with a lot of windows explorer all along the botton of the screen.Windows exploere keeps flashing on until I can stop it...I then can't close those until I ctrl/alt/delete...I have no viruses because nothing shows on the scan.
It seems to me that it is only when trying to open zip file. Do I have to have some kind of convertor to open them or is it something else wrong. Would appreciate any kind of advise...cheers from New Zealand.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Explorer keep fashing and not responding when
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Explorer keep fashing and not responding when
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ooopppssss!!!!! I forgot to

tell you my computer is Vista ...

- Collapse -
Open A Zip File From Email... Hmmm

Are you COMPLETELY sure the file is harmless? It could be an infected file since such zip files have a tendency to be so..

At this point, delete the file from your computer and run a scan with your antivirus and antispyware programs..

If everything comes up clean, in order to open a zip file on Vista, try saving the file to your desktop, then simply double click on it.. Vista has the program to open it so you can then see inside.. If it doesn't open correctly, then file is probably corrupted.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info