Time to answer your own question, I'd say:
1. Try THIS disk on another Vista PC (friend, family, whereever you find one)
2. Try THIS disk on a Windows 7 or Windows XP PC (same)
3. Try a USB stick on this laptop and compare with another.
4. Try ANOTHER external disk on this laptop.
This basic research will clearly show if this is:
a. An issue with just this disk.
b. An issue with all external disks on your laptop.
c. An issue with all USB-devices on your laptop.
Two remarks already:
- What drivers did you uninstall and reinstall? External disk from XP upward don't need drivers?
- There's not general issue with external drives on Vista. So it must be an issue of either the drive or your laptop. Unluckily, between you and me you're the only one who can find out which of the two it is.
ok so here is the problem when i plug in a usb drive to my laptop for some reason it works sometimes but not all the time i makes explorer real slow when i do get into the hardrive it will not open folders in it and i can't get to things like the control panel or my computer is this a common problem with vista or is there something wrong with the hardrive i have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the drivers
and the other things is if i do something like use itunes to play music or video in the hardrive it runs fine can anyone help
i am running vista home premium