Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer Help? (Vista)

I have a 2 year old laptop that has never had any problems until a few days ago.

I am now unable to drag/drop single files from folder to folder, nor can I create folders or send anything to the recycle bin. Whenever I try to do any of those things, a window opens with a progress bar and just never progresses. It says that it's "Calculating..." the time remaining and is always going at the speed of 0 bytes/sec. I have to force the progress window to end with the task manager and when I do, Windows Explorer freezes & restarts itself. The file then goes where I told it to go in the first place after all that, every time.

My CPU usage which used to be around 7-20 range, now never gets under 50 and is often times operating in the 90s and takes up 62% of my physical memory (1.24 GB) - according to Windows Task Manager.

I have Norton 360 & scanned all the files in my computer. It said it found a Trojan.dropper and I quarantined & erased it in Norton. I don't know where it came from or if it's the cause of any of this, but that's the only thing I can think of that started this. The problem has not gone away.

I have logged in under Safe Mode, and the drag & drop/delete file works then, but only then. I have tried to do a system restore a few times from a few different restore points and it claims to have worked, but still doesn't fix the issue.

I have all my files backed up on an external hard drive and am now just contemplating wiping the whole system. Will this fix my problem? If so, how do I do it? I am open to any of other possible solutions or suggestions.

Let me know if you need any more of my computer info, I could really use the help. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer Help? (Vista)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer Help? (Vista)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Explorer problem in Vista

In reply to: Windows Explorer Help? (Vista)

There could be a number of common reasons for your problem and solutions. Most likely a program is blocking the subsystem process that allows you to copy & paste or your system has become corrupted.

Firewalls & antivirus programs can block system processes, turn these off and see if you you can now drag and drop. If this works you will need to edit their program control lists.

Lack of rescources can hang system processes, check how much hard disk space you have, if it's less than 5Gb free up some space and then defragment your hard drive.

Newly installed or upgraded programs can have undesired effects, try uninstalling or downgrading anything that has changed in the last week before the problem began.

The virus could have caused the problem and corrupted system files/registry reinstalling Vista would be the quickest way to deal with this.

At this point you could try reinstalling Vista from disc, a fresh install will solve most problems. Though I would recommend testing your hardware first, it's a less likely cause so you may just want to push on with the reinstall. If your doing a reinstall make sure you have all the drivers you need before you do this. Also ensure you have all the discs/download files you need to reinstall any programs you use.

Hardware problems could also cause this, if you know what make your hard drive is go to the manufacturers website and download a diagnostic tool. Install and run this and it will let you know if your HDD is damaged/failing.

If that's ok, test your memory with one of the free testing packages available on this site. You will need to let this run for at least 6 hours unless faults show up before this.

Hope this helps,get in touch if you are unsure...

Collapse -
Try This First...

In reply to: Windows Explorer Help? (Vista)

Before wiping the drive and reinstalling, you may simply need a good cleanup.. Click on the link below and follow all of the steps to remove junk files and eliminate unnecessary startup programs and services. Be sure to install and run the spyware removal tool mentioned.:

Cleanup Steps

And when you post back with the results, please give us more information about the computer such as the operating system, make and model, laptop or desktop, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.