Windows 7 forum

Question

WIndows Explorer has stopped working

by Guerito / October 31, 2012 9:16 AM PDT

I'm getting this error frequently lately and clicking Search for Solution online just brings up the error message again. Have to restart each time. Help please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIndows Explorer has stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIndows Explorer has stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not much news I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 9:27 AM PDT

Explorer is well known to do that if it encounters a video, photo and possibly other files it can't handle.

Microsoft maintains it's not their bug to fix. So what to do? You can move the offending file to somewhere else and try turning off the Thumbnail creation in explorer (link follows.) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11738-thumbnail-previews-enable-disable.html

Again, a well worn topic with this OS maker maintaining it's not their problem.
Bob

Collapse -
Now IE explorer is doing the same
by Guerito / October 31, 2012 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Not much news I fear.

Checking for solutions online just brings up the error again. I'm well miffed about this.

Collapse -
Confusing.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 9:13 PM PDT

Are you talking about Internet Explorer or about Windows Explorer? Those are different programs.

To start Windows Explorer, right click on the Windows orb and choose Windows Explorer.
To start Internet Explorer, click on the IE icon (that blue "e") in the taskbar.

Bob's answer was for Windows Explorer.

Kees

Collapse -
Forget IE
by Guerito / November 1, 2012 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Confusing.

The IE problem was just a webpage error. Windows Explorer is driving me nuts. It is erroring every 5- 15 minutes with no way out but to restart.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Forget IE

A sure fire way to create a near disaster for the new to this issue is to take a bad image or video and copy it to their desktop.

I find many IT staffers formatting and reinstalling the OS over that issue. It's well worn and pretty easy to fix (if you call moving the file off the machine a fix.)
Bob

Collapse -
The quick solution then.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 6:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Forget IE

In Control Panel, make a new Windows account (with administrator capabilities), login into that and start cleaning your old account.

Kees

Collapse -
How do you clean an account?
by Guerito / November 1, 2012 9:15 PM PDT

As title says.

Collapse -
Re: account
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 9:41 PM PDT

No need to clean the old account. You can delete it if you've copied everything you need to your new account.
Or delete that offending picture or whatever it is in the desktop folder of that old account and try if that is OK now.

Just your choice to get the old account working or continue in the new account.

Kees

Collapse -
I've reinstalled Windows
by Guerito / November 2, 2012 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: account

Its the only sure way. I don't know what offending pictures or video you've been talking about, the problem just happened when I was doing nothing on desktop.

Collapse -
Answer
there is a link from the this website that fix ur prob
by Mrjoh12 / November 11, 2012 8:35 PM PST

go to www.microsoft.ie or if this website is down or www.microsoft.com using one of these links or google microsoft if these link don't work.

Then type in the search bar at the top Fix it and it will bring up a links for the Microsoft fix it center and you will find a fix tool here for this problem and others as well.

you may need to borrow someones laptop or pc as there is a website where you can get rescue disks of antivirus trial versions for free just look for post which reads FBI Computer is Locked post on the Cnet forum not by me but by someone else.

Collapse -
Did not fix the issue I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 11:54 PM PST

Microsoft has yet to take ownership of this issue unless you are talking about moving to Windows 8 RT.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.