Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows explorer folder views; Search forum

I have two questions:
1. I have been able to change the Windows Explorer folder views on my Windows XP Home to the display I like best: Details. But now I go back into:
Tools, Folder Options, Views and check "Apply to all Folders", but it reverts back to the "Icons" option. What am I doing wrong?
2. I probably wouldn't need to ask #1 if I could access the "Search" function on the Computer Help Forum archives. Is this no longer available?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows explorer folder views; Search forum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows explorer folder views; Search forum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes. Search has been working for some time now.

In reply to: Windows explorer folder views; Search forum

Note that at the top of any page is "Back to Main Forums Page" click on that [it gets you to www.help.com]. Note the search window at the top.

Collapse -
Re: Windows explorer folder views; Search forum

In reply to: Windows explorer folder views; Search forum

1. The article [Q306554] discusses several new ways for you to arrange and identify your files when you view them, and the arrangement options in each folder vary with the type of folder. For example, special folders such as the My Music, My Pictures, or My Videos folders. When a folder is open, any of the viewing options can be used:

a. Show in Groups - Files may be grouped by any detail, such as name, size, type, or date modified. If files are grouped by file type, image files are displayed in one, Microsoft Word, and Excel files are grouped in another. "Show in Groups" is available in the Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, and Details views.

b. Thumbnails - Displays the images a folder contains on a folder icon so it can be quickly identified. For example, if pictures are stored in several different folders, in Thumbnails view, you can tell at a glance which folder contains pictures. Up to four images are displayed on a folder background by default. The complete folder name is displayed under the thumbnail.

c. Tiles - Displays files and folders as icons which are larger than those in Icon view.

d. Filmstrip - Available in picture folders, and pictures are displayed in a single row of thumbnail images which can be scrolled through using the left and right arrow buttons. Clicking a picture, displays it as a larger image above the other pictures. To edit, print, or save the image to another folder, double-click a picture.

e. Icons - Displays files and folders as icons and the file name is displayed under the icon. Sort information is not displayed. Files and folders in groups may be grouped.

f. List - Displays the contents of a folder as a list of file or folder names preceded by small icons. This view is useful if folders contain many files and you want to scan for a file name. Files and folders may be sorted in this view but Groups are not supported.

g. Details - Windows lists the contents of the open folder and provides detailed information about files, including name, type, size, and date modified. Groups are supported.

2. The article [Q307116] states that you can set the view setting of all the folders on a computer to match the view setting of the current (selected) folder by clicking Folder Options on the Tools menu in Windows Explorer and then clicking Like Current Folder on the View tab. However, if a folder other than the current folder is also open, Windows may not apply the view setting of the current folder to the other open folder(s).

Note: My recommendation: Click View, Folder Options, click all three of the buttons Reset All Folders, Like Current Folder, and Restore Defaults -- afterwards, reapply any settings wanted/needed in the advanced section, but be sure that a checkmark is placed in the item labeled, "Remember each folder's view settings".

3. Enable the check box, Show Control Panel in My Computer (Start, Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options) as a desired feature.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank (Q192315)."

b. "Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP (Q282002)."

c. "The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User (Q286727)."

d. "Web View Bar Is Not Visible in a Folder Window (Q291102)" (with Tasks, Other Places, and Details sections)

e. "HOW TO: Use Offline Files in Windows XP (Q307853)."

f. "HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views (Q307856)."

g. "How to Change Column Settings in Windows Explorer (Q310297)."

5. Hint: Having problems ensuring the Status Bar in Internet Explorer appears by default?

a. With IE open, click View in the main menu and make sure there is a check mark in Status Bar -- do not close IE or this window.

b. Open Explorer, click View on the main menu and check Status Bar.

c. Click Tools, Folder Options, View, and then click on Apply to all Folders which should fix this anomaly.

6. It has been stated from Web sources that Windows XP will remember up to a maximum of 400 folder settings by default but beyond that, folders will start loosing the setting. It is suggested to patch the system registry to increase the default to 1000. Copy the below seven (7) lines of code (including blank lines) and paste them into Notepad. Save this to an anyfilename with an extension of .reg. Double-click this file after logging on as the Administrator and Windows will ask you if you want to add this to the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:000003e8

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:000003e8

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.