Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows explorer error/problems updating

by damidget13 / December 14, 2008 3:38 AM PST

I keep getting a 'windows explorer has encountered an error' message whenever my mouse even skims over a certain file on my computer - if i try to access anything on it, no program will work, including online virus scan, my kaspersky. I can't seem to delete it. I have tried to delete the folder using the 'unlocker' but it hasnt worked. I have tried shellview as well, and it has not worked. As far as i can tell, the error began to occur after i moved the folder into a different folder. I have tried to check for windows updates, but whenever i attempt to accesses the windows update cite, it reverts to
My error report is as follows:
Error signature:
AppName: explorer. Exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: unknown
Offset: 000960e7
Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005
Flags: 0x00000000
Address: 0x00000000000960e7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows explorer error/problems updating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows explorer error/problems updating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is that certain file?
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 3:44 AM PST

What is "access something on a file"?
What is "no program will work, when I ..."
"After I moved the folder into a different folder". What folder did you move?

This points to malware. If you have suspicions on a certain file or folder, try to delete it after booting from your Windows CD and entering the recovery console. You may want to try moveonboot (free download) first.

Collapse -
I agree with Kees, we need more details
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 4:05 AM PST

and while malware seems the favorite explanation, there may be another reason.

If that folder contains a video file, and if the folder's "View" options are set to display the files in Thumbnail view, then possibly one or more files are corrupt. Explorer will fail when it tries to render a video thumbnail of a corrupted file.

That would not explain the failure in Windows Update though, so more information is needed.

Collapse -
folder contains lit files, pdfs
by damidget13 / December 14, 2008 4:42 AM PST

Thanks for your responses. The folder had contained lit files, and pdfs - ebooks. i can't really see whats in it now. I tried moveonboot but it seemed to have no affect.

Collapse -
Then it's time for the recovery console.
by Kees Bakker / December 15, 2008 6:17 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?