Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer Error

by Anita123 / October 9, 2004 1:08 PM PDT

Hi
I get very strange Windows Explorer error.
I get an error message (1) User.exe after coming out of stand By mode. I press ok and the computer continues working okay.
(2) I also get an error message 0000f:000015ce After running Norton Anti Virus. I have uninstalled Nortons and reinstalled it and still the message persists.
After pressing "OK" the computer continues to work fine.
However on the very odd occassion the computer does freeze and when I try to press Ctrl/alt/delete---nothing happens---the computer has frozen completely.
Any suggestions on fixing this problem, would be appreciated.
Anita 123

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Explorer Error
by Kees Bakker / October 10, 2004 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Explorer Error

Anita,

Coming out of standby is a situation that's rather prone for errors. It's the motherboard involved, the BIOS, the OS, a lot of settings, a few drivers, and - all in all - you can consider yourself happy that it works. I should consider an error without any further consequences as a very minor annoyance.

For Norton, did you search on the Symantec site (www.symantec.com)? They've got a good search function.
And if the problem of the PC hanging is limited to a very odd occasion: such things happen. Count your blessings, and accept it.

Kees

Collapse -
Stand over Norton.
by reefurbb / October 11, 2004 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Explorer Error

Not. The 2003 and 2004 has been problems for a few people. I've heard that Norton says to do a fresh OS reinstall. Not a nice answer.
www.grisoft.com and www.free-av.com offer free antivirus programs that seem to work almost as good as Norton and McAfee. EZtrust supossedly has been better value for the $$. You can disable Norton to run these for awhile. Don't have two AV's running at the same time, although I haven't heard why.
Standby usually means that the hard drive shutsdown and you run on RAM. It can't go into a lower speed idle. RAM can run a low impact screensaver and more but it slowly clogs up (with messages from Mars). Then coming off stanby is like waking you from a light nap, "where am I", and operations that are supposed to run in the background lock things up.
Even my favorite Norton Utilities 2002 nor PC Bugdoctor
can fix things enough to prevent freezeup.
After a bad shutdown, where ctrl-alt-del didn't work, run scandisk, even surface scan, to be sure something didn't get whacked.
Scandisk, however, is no where as good as Norton Utilities (debateable) which will find file allocation errors and many other thing that scandisk won't.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.