Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer "Details" View

by SRWALLEN / November 4, 2004 9:21 PM PST

When using Windows Explorer (Win98), it seems to operate okay when View settings of LargeIcons, SmallIcons and List. However, when I specify Details, no files or subdirectories display. It used to work ... anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer "Details" View
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer "Details" View
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Explorer "Details" View
by reefurbb / November 4, 2004 9:33 PM PST

use "customize" and remove customization. Probably won't help. Search and find/download "tweakui" or "tweak133" and see uses, including restoring default settings.

Collapse -
Re: Windows Explorer
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2004 9:26 PM PST
when I specify Details, no files or subdirectories display.

1. If you've messed up the columns in Explorer then click somewhere on a blank space in the right window, press the key combinations, Ctrl key and hold, and then press the + key on the numeric key-pad. Release the Ctrl key.

Note: This situation occurs when resizing Explorer's column headers. It can also happen if you drag the left edge of the "Modified" column so that it entirely covers the "Type" column; drag the "Modified" column to cover the "Size" column; and then drag the "Modified" column to cover the "Name" column.

2. You can recover the missing columns in almost the same way by placing the mouse at the left edge of the "Modified" column header and drag the header to the right. Do this twice more. Each time you'll expose one of the missing columns. When all are visible, size them to your satisfaction.

3. The Registry may be edited and perhaps correct this type anomaly, [Q179875]. The registry displays six root keys with all other keys nested within these first six:

Note: The Registry Editor display resembles "Windows Explorer somewhat" (Click to see an example screenshot) both in feel and in "concept" (Click to see an example screenshot).

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKCU to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a slash in the above key) until reaching the last folder named "Explorer". Click on it to bold/highlight.

b. In the right window pane find and click the key "DirectoryColsX" to highlight. Press the Del key and confirm that you want to delete it.

c. Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit, or simply click the x in the URHC of the window to close the Registry Editor tool.

d. Open Explorer and you should now be able to see all the default columns.

Note: The value for that key is recreated only if the window is resized. Removing the prior value only returns the window to the default.

e. If all else fails, try resetting the view for all folders to the default. Click Tools, Folder Options and on the View tab, click Reset Folders.

4. Interestingly, checked the "Tech Support Guy" site for information concerning certain files used for this display.

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Set Columns in Folders to Use a Minimal Amount of Space (Q169867)."

b. "Summary Information Missing in My Computer or Windows Explorer (Q186704)."

c. "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank (Q192315)", though I've never had a, "All Folders" folder on my Win98FE, MSIE v5.01SP2 system, since 1998.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Explorer
by SRWALLEN / November 5, 2004 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Windows Explorer

Thanks. Your step2 suggestion worked. I knew the columns were there, just couldn't see them (none of the column headers were showing).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.