Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer Crashes!

I have been dealing with this issue for a LONG time now, and have never found a solution...So, I'm asking this learned community!

When I am in Windows Explorer looking for, or managing files, it sometimes will just go away...disappear, then I watch all of the windows go away momentarily, then come back (apparently Explorer restarts itself, otherwise I would not see the other windows). When the system finishes resetting itself (explorer starts), the Windows Explorer instance that I was in is no longer there. I have to start another instance and then hope it doesn't happen again. Sometimes it happens when I am in the middle of copying files from one disk or folder to another.

Has anyone out there experienced this? I have tried to reinstall SP1 and patches, have browsed and searched and never seen any problems the same as this. I keep my virus software and firewall up to date, and I run spybot regularly, so I'm pretty sure it's not viral.

Thanks,
Tim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer Crashes!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer Crashes!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Explorer Crashes!

In reply to: Windows Explorer Crashes!

"Has anyone out there experienced this?"

Yes. And I keep a demo of it handy when I travel to show to any Redmondite I run over. I can crash Explorer on demand by a single click on a corrupt (to Microsoft) Jpeg, Mpeg and other formats. Explorer doesn't handle such with any grace.

To work around the issue, I find these files and recompress them or treat them with care.

The final workaround is to use a file browser/manager. Explorer is not a "real" file manager and easy to show since it adds items to display lists, hides files even when we tell it not to.

There is no known cure yet.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ...and a good file browser/manager is?

In reply to: Re: Windows Explorer Crashes!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) .and a good file browser/manager is your choice.

In reply to: (NT) ...and a good file browser/manager is?

Collapse -

I experience this simply opening cascading folders, either by double clicking or right clicking and selecting open. I think the event # in the sys error log for this is 7000, but none has occurred in a couple days so I can't confirm that. I think I will see if it goes away with SP2, and if not pick up one of the suggested file browsers.

Collapse -

Well, it's good to know that I'm not alone in my extreme frustration!

I guesss I never looked for an alternate file manager/browser either. years ago I used a good one by PCTools. Thanks for giving me a jump-start!

Thanks Bob.

Tim

Collapse -
my choice? up until 5 minutes ago I didn't know I had one!

In reply to: Windows Explorer Crashes!

Any recommendations on a good (as in free) reliable one?

Collapse -
Re: my choice? up until 5 minutes ago I didn't know I had on

In reply to: my choice? up until 5 minutes ago I didn't know I had one!

While I use Gupta's Navigator, it's not everyone's cup of tea. There are a few hundred file managers out there.

Happy hunting, it's wabbit season...

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.