Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer corrupted, but working more or less

by TokioOkio / June 24, 2006 2:25 PM PDT

Hardware: IBM Aptiva 216516J, OS W98 Japanese. Bought 1999. 8GB HDD has about 1.5MB in bad sectors. Built-in CDROM drive is ''missing''. Presently using CD Burner via USB1.1. (I know I should give up and buy a new system, but that is difficult at present. - I also have an eOne but the CRT went blank with a burnt resistor smell a couple of days ago.)

The immediate problem seems to be Explorer.exe. At the end of the boot-up, I get a warning notice that ''Explorer is corrupted and will be stopped.'' It goes on to say If it doesn't stop, contact the preduct maker. - This is all in Japanese so I am not real sure. When I click OK the icons disappear but come back immediately.

Icons on the right end of the Task bar, in OE and the check boxes in Start Up of msconfig are blacked out. Other icons on the desktop and the left end on the task bar are OK. Some icons on the right end of the task bar are missing (speaker, IME etc.). Outlook Express wasn't working but after I was able to run ScanDisk and Defrag in SAFE mode it is OK although it lost all the messages in the In Box. Other mail boxes were OK. I am sure there are other things that are not working correctly. Photoshop Elements 2 quits when I try to save a new image in JPEG.

I looked in MKB but couldn't find anything. I have an idea I have one or more corrupted *.dll files.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Old TokioOkie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer corrupted, but working more or less
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer corrupted, but working more or less
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: corrupted hard disk
by Kees Bakker / June 24, 2006 7:26 PM PDT

A hard disk with bad sectors should be thrown away and replaced. After that, a fresh install of Windows 98 might do wonders. If you do it before July 11, you'll have a fully functioning Windows Update.
A prerequisite is that the built-in CD-ROM drive is working if you boot from a boot diskette with CD-ROM support. Or did the machine come with a recovery CD? Then use that.

Things to try if you don't like that idea:
1. Install of Windows 98 on top of the existing version from your USB-CD drive, or
2. Copy a Windows 98 CD to your hard disk, delete \windows and \program file folders and run setup from the hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice, Kees
by TokioOkio / June 24, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

Thanks. I think I probably knew what I need to do, but I was trying to avoid it. In fact I have bought a new HDD and started to install it; but the flat cable connectors to the floppy and CD-ROM seem impossible to remove and they must be removed to get to the HDD. (I would like to get my hands on the hardware designer.)The IBM doesn't have an extra HDD bay. Then I remembered that I couldn't use my recovery disk in the USB CDR/W so I put the lid on and gave up. But now that the other computer is dead I have to do something.

I do have an external HDD (250GB) but it is USB too.

Any ideas?

Tokio Okie

Collapse -
RE: cables and such...
by reefurbb / June 24, 2006 11:19 PM PDT

1. an Okie accent won't work in Nipponese.
2. look carefully at the IDE and floppy ribbon end. Some have a thin little clip on each side that prevents "fallout". these can be broken off. Otherwise, some are just very tight. Try to use pliers on the plastic cable end, as pulling on the ribbon might pull it loose from the end.
3. W98SE has a 137gb limit, as well as your laptop limit (8gb?).
4. older pc's and w98se use USB 1 instead of 2.0, a drawback. USB harddrives are not bootable unless your BIOS allows it.
5. If you do a DOS surface scan, you can regionalize the bad sectors. Example: if the bad sectors are ALL towards the back half of the Hdd, then you can, laboriously, copy off the Hdd, repartition the Hdd for a smaller Primary, copy back the old load,and be safe for awhile...maybe.
6. definetly a fresh install would solve a lot of problems, including missing files from bad sectors, after you try an "overinstall" as Kees suggests.

Collapse -
Okie accent
by TokioOkio / June 25, 2006 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: cables and such...

1. an Okie accent won't work in Nipponese.

You are so correct about the Okie accent. My wife of 40 years still gets mad at me almost every day about my poor Japanese. (I still can't differentiate between 4 and 8 and every time I saw shiNko, my wife hears shiko.

Thanks for the good advice.I don't know how to run a DOS surface scan. I use Scandisk in Safe Mode now. Earlier I used Norton's Disk Dr. but I gave up on it.

Langa had a piece on downloading all the W98 updates and saving to disk for future use. The ref. is on the eOne that has no display now. I will try to find it thru his web site.

Thanks again

Collapse -
with a boot floppy, W95(B-C-D),or W98...
by reefurbb / June 25, 2006 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Okie accent

get to the A:\> prompt...Type
A:\>scandisk C:/autofix/surface (enter)
and you'll get the regular scan and then surface scan in DOS mode, with a map of all sectors. Leave off the "autofix" unless you have bad sectors, or you'll have to OK fixing each and every one.
Pay attention to the percentage of the Hdd where the bad sectors are, unless scattered.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?