Windows Legacy OS forum

Windows Explorer Blocking Firefox

by hooligan6a / January 23, 2015 9:50 AM PST

Windows Explorer will not let me install any other browser. What can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer Blocking Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer Blocking Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
you mean
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 10:10 AM PST

Internet Explorer.

Why do you think this?

Collapse -
Windows Explorer blocking Firefox
by hooligan6a / January 23, 2015 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: you mean

Because I can not load and open Firefox nor Google Chrome only Explorer

Collapse -
Re: Explorer.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 10:08 PM PST

Windows Explorer is the file manager. Internet Explorer is the browser. So, like James, I think you mean Infernet Explorer.

Can you tell what you mean with "install", with "blocking", with "load" and with "open"? That's not clear at all from your 2 posts.

Personally, I never needed Internet Explorer to install a program. I just run the installer from the download folder if I downloaded it to my own PC, or from my USB-stick to which I downloaded it on another PC, if for some reason ythe download on my own PC doesn't work.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer
by hooligan6a / January 23, 2015 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Explorer.

You are correct, I really meant Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer.

I have since installed Google Chrome from a Flash drive, and am having exactly the same issues with Chrome as with IE. I cannot get to ANY webpage except Gmail - go figure!!!

I checked all security settings, and found no problem. Neither browser will allow me to do ANYTHING other than go to!!!

I am not sure if I have some virus on my Windows side, because Google and Safari both work perfectly on my Apple side, just not when running Windows Fusion.

Is there some setting I am missing, or do you think I have malware/virus issues?? My Internet connection is DEFINETLY working fine - I can send, receive, open, and close all my email on Gmail only, and can navigate freely on Gmail, but cannot get to any other site even hyperlinked to Gmail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
Rde: Fusion
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2015 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Explorer

You were hiding the fact that you were running Windows (XP? what service pack? legitimate retail version?) under VMWare Fusion (not "Windows Fusion") on a Mac. You did better in, but I see you didn't get an answer there.

It's strange. And it's complicated that there are 3 parties involved: Apple, VMWare and Windows). Why do you want to run a browser in Windows XP under Fusion on a Mac?

Did it ever work, or did you install it only very recently and did it never work? On a clean install you can't have a virus, of course, so even your thinking about it is strange.

It seems time to use diagnostics like ping and tracert (command line utilities).

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2015 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Rde: Fusion

Now it makes a lot more sense. Not that I have a ready solution but wow, hiding the details turns this into a stumper fast.

Collapse -
try this
by vembutech / January 29, 2015 5:52 AM PST

The windows explorer will not block any software while installing it. better try installing it from the safe mode. Also try RUN option, so that without downloading the file we can run it directly. Else try this, download the setup file in different machine and then copy that in USB flash drive and then plug the USB flash drive in another computer and try install it by doing right click and choose run as administrator.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?