Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer Asdress Bar Gone?Thinks My Docs is Music?!?

by PSOmasterX77 / July 11, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

Recently, I noticed the address bar in my windows explorer (WinXP SP2) disappeared. I went to view>toolbars>address bar, but all that shows up is a little tan box that has a faded "address" written in it. Can't click it or anything, totally useless. What happened and how do I get it back? Oh, and recently Windows decided my "My documents" folder was a music folder. How do I get it to stop identifying folders as "pictures" or "music" ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer Asdress Bar Gone?Thinks My Docs is Music?!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer Asdress Bar Gone?Thinks My Docs is Music?!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Address Bar
by will4vols / July 11, 2005 4:06 AM PDT

To get the Address Bar back, right click on the faded address words. Then make sure "Lock the toolbars" isn't checked. The you should be able to mouse over the webpage upto the toolbar and pull it down.

Hope it helps,
Will

Collapse -
About the music files
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 5:09 AM PDT

You may need to "Re-associate" the music files with the correct application.

Find a music file in Windows Explorer, highlight it, and right click. Select "Open with", then in the next menu, select "Choose program". In the list of programs choose the one you want to use to play the tracks, and make sure the option to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is ticked.

OK out.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Okay address bar fixed but the music problem....
by PSOmasterX77 / July 11, 2005 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: About the music files

Well thanks for the Address bar tip, now with the music, it's not that the music files dont open correctly, it's just you know how say if you go into your Windows XP ''My Music'' folder, there's a bar on the left that says ''music tasks'' and it says you can ''play all'' and whatnot. Then when I go to arrange the icons, everything is music related. I don't want my my documents folder to be associated with music.

Collapse -
I'm not sure I follow
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 10:09 AM PDT

Are you saying that when you double click on the My Documents icon on your desktop, it displays your documents but the list on the left hand side starts off with

Music Tasks
Play all
Shop for music online
COpy all items to audio CD

Is that it?

If so, what do you mean when you say, "when I go to arrange the icons, everything is music related"?

In what way arrange the icons, and what icons? Do you mean the documents filed in that folder? If so, how can those documents be associated with music?

Inside that My Documents folder, do you have other folders called My Music, and My Pictures, etc? If so, what happens when you open them?

Does anyone else have access to your computer? I just wonder if someone has put all of your documents from the My Documents folder into the My Music folder.

Mark

Collapse -
All about my My Documents folder
by PSOmasterX77 / July 11, 2005 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not sure I follow

1. Yeah, that's it
2. Right click>Arrange Icons By...> Track Number, duration, year, artist, album, etc.. shows up instead of the standard Type, modified, name, etc...
3. These are the icons in the my documents folder, you know, all the files I have in there. A large mass of these used to be MP3s, but I moved them to the My Music folder.
4.Yeah, I have those, and I get Music Tasks on the left with My Music, Picture Tasks with My Pictures, and Video Tasks with My Videos. Just how they're supposed to work.
5.It's my computer, nobody else touches it, and the folders are in the right spots.
Thanks for your time,
Mark (hah that's my name too :-P )

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by stewlis / May 13, 2008 11:35 PM PDT

I have this same exact problem. I hope someone has a solution!

Collapse -
Re: Same Problem Here
by Tufenuf / May 14, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem Here

stewlis, Go to the link below and under the letter "F" scroll down to "Folder Backgrounds - Customizing" then scroll a little further to "Added Note:" and you'll find the solution for the "My Documents" wrong Task Pane template.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_f.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Still not working
by stewlis / May 14, 2008 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Same Problem Here

Thank you, but the desktop.ini file seems to be correct. For example, for My Pictures, the folder displays music tasks and the music note icon in the background, but the ini file reads:

[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=Stewart
Personalized=39
PersonalizedName=My Pictures
[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12688
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\mydocs.dll
IconIndex=-101

Collapse -
Re: Still not working
by Tufenuf / May 14, 2008 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

stewlis, You could download Tweak UI at the link below. After you install it you'll find it in Start>Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI. Open it and under Repair choose Repair My Music icon, Repair My Videos icon, Repair My Pictures icon, Click the Repair Now button. You would have to do this one at a time then click Apply/OK. and restart your computer. It may work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Still No Luck
by stewlis / May 14, 2008 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Still not working

Thank you so much for the help, but I am still not having any luck...any more suggestions to try?

Collapse -
Strange. Have You Tried a SFC (System File Checker)...
by tobeach / May 14, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

which seems to restore many things back to their "default" associations & settings? Is this recent, might sys restore do it? Very low tech compared with the excellent ideas from other posts (tufenuf amazes me many times) but just now & then, simplest works..Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
Finally Resolved
by stewlis / May 14, 2008 11:23 PM PDT

SFC didn't work for me, it just resulted in errors that asked me to insert Windows Professional Disk 2 and my system has preinstalled windows so I don't have disks, so I skipped that.

I've had this same problem before, but it was always resolved by the method described in KB 555077 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555077/en-us):

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type the following command:

rundll32 mydocs.dll,PerUserInit

2. Click OK.

This method did not work for me this time.

However, I did find this, and it did work (Yay!)
(Source: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm):

Start Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
Backup these regkeys: (as a precaution only; if satisfied with the results, you may delete the backups)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

Delete the above keys.
Restart windows to take effect.

All is well now! Thank you all for your excellent suggestions and fast replies. This was a tough one!

Collapse -
(NT) stewlis, Good Job & Thanks for posting the solution.
by Tufenuf / May 15, 2008 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally Resolved
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.