Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Essential codec pack

by theportoman / October 19, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

Hi

Ive just downloaded the codec pack from the site to play different file types but what do I do now ? I thought it would autmatically integrate with Windows Media Player but it doesnt so what do I need to do to get WMP to use the codecs ?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Essential codec pack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Essential codec pack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very confusing area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

Let's just say its far from automagic. But if a video file fails it could be that Microsoft has blocked the codec, the codec doesn't work with WMP or "other."

To work this issue I might try GPSOT CODEC APPLIANCE (use google when I offer no links) and I might use VLC PLAYER to play the content instead of spending time on WMP.
Bob

Collapse -
AAC ?
by theportoman / October 19, 2008 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Very confusing area.

Hi

The reason why I downloaded the codecs was to play some AAC files - Ive got Nero Smartsuite which plays AAC but I hate the interface. So really Im just trying to find a good userfriendly AAC player (and a good M4P player too as I dont want to use Itunes).

Collapse -
That helps a lot!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: AAC ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

"Licensing and Patents

No licenses or payments are required to be able to stream or distribute content in AAC format. [8] This reason alone makes AAC a much more attractive format to distribute content than MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio).

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs [9]. It is for this reason FOSS implementations such as FAAC and FAAD are distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)"

AHHH!!! This explains why your codec pack may not have the ready to use CODEC. Nasty.

Doubly nasty because as a moderator I am bound to those same limitations. But I hope you know know to seek out a CODEC for this format.
Bob
Collapse -
A suggestion ?
by theportoman / October 19, 2008 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: That helps a lot!

Well a suggestion on a player that plays AAC would be good if you know of any !

Collapse -
Remember the DRM angle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: A suggestion ?

If the AAC is DRM'd then you must use the player specified by the person who handed you the file.

The most common AAC player I know of is iTunes.
Bob

Collapse -
The one true essential codec pack
by Jimmy Greystone / October 19, 2008 6:37 AM PDT

The one true essential codec pack for Windows is ffdshow. It's free, no spyware, and it's considerably smaller. It's also very highly optimized to use CPU features like MMX and SSE2. Since it primarily focuses on only being a decoder, often times it can give better performance than the official codecs. Combine it with MediaPlayer Classic Homecinema, and you've got yourself a setup that will handle virtually anything you throw at it.

It will also play AAC files, so long as they don't contain any DRM, such as those you might get from iTunes. When it comes to any DRM encumbered file format, you're going to be very limited in the number of ways you can play that file. Also be careful you don't run into a situation like Yahoo and Walmart music download stores ran into, where the company decides they're going to discontinue the service and you're left hanging. Walmart was eventually pressured into keeping the authentication servers around a while longer, but I think most Yahoo music store patrons were just left high and dry.

Collapse -
A more user friendly front-end would be CCCP Codec Pack
by Shun4rm323 / October 19, 2008 4:43 PM PDT

I also agree with FFDSHOW, it is also compatible with Vista and it will no longer display COM Surrogate crashes (Vista SP1 here correct me if I'm wrong)

Collapse -
Okay then...
by theportoman / October 19, 2008 9:28 PM PDT

Okay thanks. So where can I find this FFD SHOW ? Also do I just run it and let it install itself into the Windows Media Player or do I have to do something complicated?

Thanks.

Collapse -
CCCP simplifies that for you
by Shun4rm323 / October 20, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay then...

Nope you don't need to do any complex stuff unless something does not work in this case tell us the problem. Out of the box though it works 98%> of the time.

Collapse -
Where is it ?
by theportoman / October 20, 2008 6:34 AM PDT

Okay so where do I find it ?

Collapse -
You can find
by Jimmy Greystone / October 20, 2008 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Where is it ?

You can find ffdshow here: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Don't let the "tryouts" bit throw you off, that really primarily refers to the fact that this is a slightly unofficial build with extra bug fixes and enhancements since the main ffdshow development can be a bit slow.

You could also download a copy of MediaPlayer Classic Homecinema (MPC-HC), which IMO blows Windows Media Player out of the water in every way that counts. It's free, and integrates a copy of ffshow right into it, so it's just one less thing to worry about. The whole download is a single executable file under 10MB in size, so it's even pretty dialup friendly. You can find MPC-HC here: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Collapse -
Ok I will have a look.............
by theportoman / October 23, 2008 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: You can find

Thanks for your help I will go and investigate................

Collapse -
Here you go
by Shun4rm323 / October 20, 2008 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Where is it ?
Collapse -
Problem ?
by theportoman / October 25, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

Ok I downloaded the FFD thing but it hasnt made any difference. It seemed to download okay but I thought it would appear in my programs menu but maybe it integrates itself in another way. Anyway, when I insert a disc with AAC files on it the only way I have of playing them is with Nero - the same as last time ! It doesnt give me any other options. What am I doing wrong ?

Collapse -
Did you install it?
by Jimmy Greystone / October 25, 2008 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem ?

Did you install it? I see mention of you downloading it, but not installing it, so just one of those things I have to ask.

Collapse -
Yes
by theportoman / October 25, 2008 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you install it?

Yes I did install it and came up with some various things to click on unclick which I found quite confusing to say the least.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?