Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Error in task bar

by Native_Texan / March 4, 2005 12:32 AM PST

I am having a error on boot up.

A Duplicate name appears on the network.

where can i check the names and change them???

I have 3 desktops and 2 lap tops and not sure about it.
also having low wireless signal issues..?? says
on 2 pc's... The name "TIKIHOME :0" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.104. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.101 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.
Source NetBT
Cat None
Event ID 4321

not sure what is wrong here, thanks

also why would my letters change to a larger size if i did not change them?????

for example.. on cnet page it use to say welcome in fairly small print, but today i turn on and the print is huge!!! I did not change any sizes.... or anything
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Error in task bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Error in task bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Error in task bar
by Cetin Denislam / March 4, 2005 2:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: larger letters
by Themisive / March 4, 2005 5:40 AM PST

Every so often, (I've had this as well) the graphics will reset themselves, usually to something like 640 x 480 instead of staying where you set them. This means that the characters are as you set them, but if the graphics resets itself to a lower resolution, you'll end up with larger characters.

The only way you can deal with this is to reset the resololution back to what ever you had, for instance, mine's on 1024 x 768 but it alters itself evry so often to either 640 x 480 or 800 x 600.

There is no permanent fix so far as I am aware, just open control panel, open graphics, click on the settings tab and reset the resolution.

Regards

Collapse -
Re: larger letters
by Themisive / March 13, 2005 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: larger letters

Another thing is that I see that you are using a radio connection, unfortunately as far as I have been able to determine, not only is it an insecure system, but also, if anyone near uses another computer radio system, they could be re-setting your computer!

All my system is hard-wired - granted it looks a bit like a rat's nest, but at least it's secure; and as far as LAN connection goes, just use either CAT 5 or CAT 6 cable with RJ45 connectors, it's much safer.

Quite probably it's a neighbour nearby who has a similar problem, but in reverse, as all these radio connection systems work on the same frequency, so he may be on 800 x 600 whilst you are on say 1024 x 768. Thus if yours alters his system you, he will automatically re-set it to 800 x 600! That's probablyt the cause of the problem - though not necessarily, there are other things that will cause this effect.

I can tell that there is someone nearby my own home, as at certain times (if I am watching TV) there appear interferance lines on the screen; however, ther is no problem otherwise.

My advice is to suggest you invest in some LAN equipment as soon as possible, maybe that should sort things out for you.

Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.