PC Hardware forum

General discussion

windows error code 0x80090019

by darkstar8025q / May 11, 2009 5:02 PM PDT

what in the world? this happened after my computer was infected by a virus. Cannot log on. The only remedy ive seen is to delete a certain two registry keys, but on my hp pavilion they do not exist. i do not want to reformat! ive searched everywhere for answers. And is there any way to copy all files to flash drive or removable disk, while in safe mode? in case i totally destroy my comp. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows error code 0x80090019
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows error code 0x80090019
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why is this in the hardware forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

Our spyware forum might be a better choice but then again you say that this would destroy the machine. How is that possible?

-> Tne NAME of the virus would be needed and what we have in the way of tools to fix this.
Bob

Collapse -
I dunno why is it?
by darkstar8025q / May 12, 2009 4:46 AM PDT

well does it really matter where its posted? Spyware forum? what does that have to do with a windows error code? And what i meant was i would like to back up all files on pc before i start changing reigstry keys and other options etc. in case i mess the pc up b/c im no comp wizz. I dont know the name of the virus it was a trojan. something, All i know is this happened right after this virus was detected, then cleaned, had to restart pc and then wouldnt let me in to log on. Ive read over and over to change 2 particular reg. keys but they do not exist on my pavilion. they exist but not the whole file name, its missing cryptograpghy\something. I do not know what to do i would just rather do a system recovery, but i dont know if its possible to copy all files to another location in safe mode?

Collapse -
Why the forum matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I dunno why is it?

If you have a software issue, you get the people with software help in the software forums.

I'm encountered a few folk that don't want to be bothered by posting in an appropriate forum and they get upset as you guide them to the right forum. Try finding the right forum to get the right expertise.

I know of a particular pest that blocks login but the repair is documented and is specific to the pest's name. I don't want to give bad advice so I don't tell you want to do next without the full details.

And having just cured something all too similar I might have an answer but I don't want to give you the wrong cure.

Bob

Collapse -
SOrry for the wrong forum posting
by darkstar8025q / May 12, 2009 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Why the forum matters.

Well so what do you need to know to try and help me along? I wish i knew for one, the virus name, seeing as i cant log on i cannot check my antivirus log viewer and see the file name of the virus. Two is there any way to copy and or move all my files to a flash drive or a removable drive in case this problem is not fixable and i have to do a recovery or reformat? I will try and get the virus's full path name. Thanks.

Collapse -
Some Info
by darkstar8025q / May 12, 2009 3:09 PM PDT

My comp is a HP Pavilion 7995. O/S Win. xp Home Edt. version 2002. With Sp3. I found the virus file name, Its a Trojan.Fakeavalert. This is def. 100% the cause of my log out problem! and the error message. The 2 registry keys i was told to delete in win. registry to remedy the lock out of logging in are the same 2 reg. keys that are showing up in symantec's antivrus risk history folder that are infected. So what should i do, in the risk folder for symantec there are like 10+ diffrent infected reg. keys. I cant just go deleted them. ALso how do you know what to do with an infected file, meaning you can choose to delete completely, or quarantine, or clean? whats the differences?

Collapse -
I suspected it would not be the one I just fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Some Info
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-101013-3606-99&tabid=3 has the removal instructions.

NO files are needed and all this can be done at the Recovery Console BUT and this is a big one, most are very uncomfortable with command line work.

If you can't get this done yourself, find a local guru and hand them this URL and the printout from that site.

"ALso how do you know what to do with an infected file, meaning you can choose to delete completely, or quarantine, or clean? whats the differences?"

That question has been answered in our Spyware Forum. It would be far off the forum topic to duplicate the answer here.
Bob
Collapse -
Please continue in our Spyware Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 10:25 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.