Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows Driver Package- Freescale Semiconductor?

Hi,
I've been trying to free up some space on my hard drive by uninstalling programs. After sorting all programs by size, I see Windows Driver Package- Freescale Semiconductor at the top of the list, taking up 135gb. I'm really tempted to uninstall it but I'm not sure if it is system-critical. Google brings up the company page, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows what it is and if I can uninstall it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Driver Package- Freescale Semiconductor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Driver Package- Freescale Semiconductor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spotted it in the WILD.

In reply to: Windows Driver Package- Freescale Semiconductor?

This one with a slightly different name was found on "Cracked" Windows OS. Our theory is that the crack opened the OS to use as a storage place for some illicit content.

Sadly the fix was to wipe the drive and install a new legitimate OS.

This is NOT to say this is your issue but today's malware, spyware, trojans and more could create this issue. I'm only sharing something we ran into that sounds all too close.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't think its cracked.

In reply to: Spotted it in the WILD.

Hi Bob,
I'm running windows vista ultimate 32-bit and it came with my dell laptop, so I don't think that it's a cracked copy of windows. Avira free doesn't detect anything, and if it is a virus, its been in my hard drive for a pretty long time. What would happen if I simply uninstalled it?

Collapse -
Verify that.

In reply to: Don't think its cracked.

Microsoft has been less than accurate on those "installed size" values so is it really that size or yet another cosmetic bug?

You may want to look around with TREESIZE to see where the space is being used.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.