Computer Help forum

Question

Windows Drive Locked HP ENVY 15

by IbraheemMalik / December 20, 2013 3:55 AM PST

I have a really weird problem that I couldn't find anywhere else. I have an HP ENVY 15 touchsmart. I had a problem with this laptop hard drive. I got it last summer and in three months the hard drive just failed out of nowhere. I got a refund and got another and I got a BSOD out of nowhere. It went into an endless "repairing problem" loop. I sent it to the hp repair and they replaced the hard drive. In one month, it happened again. This time I got a BSOD that said "KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR'". It went into another repairing loop. I contacted HP support so I could return the laptop and get another brand because it was ridiculous. But, while I had the laptop, I messed with it for a while. I went into troubleshooting and tried to refresh windows. It reinstalls windows while keeping the files. It said that my windows drive is locked. Then I went into the CMD and tried something I read up online that didn't work. Then I tried a windows restart. That is where it reinstalls windows and removes all files. It froze at 4%. I got fed up and tried another restart, but this time I said to only remove my files. It didn't install any windows files, it only deleted my user files. Out of nowhere, windows booted up and I had to setup an account. What is weird is that I had windows 8.1 when it had the problem, but it booted into windows 8. Another thing that is weird is that I had nothing in my files that could have done it. I kept my antivirus up to date and barely had many files on it. When it shut down I was reading my e-textbook. I scanned my hard drive and no problems appeared to be there. I have no idea what happened. My question to you is this: Could this be a problem with the computer or with windows? Could it be a problem with some files I had? Is the ENVY 15 known to have these problems? Should I return the computer? If I do, should I buy HP again? If not, what other laptop brands are known to have quality laptops (don't suggest apple because they are way too expensive)? Do you have any recommendations for laptop under $1100 for a slim computer, but can also play games. The last four questions are important because I am a college student and the last thing I need is for this to happen while I have some important exam or essay due, like it already did TWICE.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Drive Locked HP ENVY 15
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Drive Locked HP ENVY 15
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My last HP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 6:20 AM PST

I've posted this many times but HP failed horribly in their repair and handling of a 3 month old laptop. It took 8 hours for them to decide to take it to their shop and on return it locked up in minutes plus the original flaw was still there.

6 months later it was still dead with calls to HP answered with "we did all we could" and "you should have bought an Envy" along with many other odd replies.

I'd get a full refund and go shopping again. At this price there are a lot of good choices. The office supplied me a new y510p with the current haswell, 16GB RAM, dual SLI video and well the works and they paid 1100.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by IbraheemMalik / December 20, 2013 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: My last HP.

Thank you very much for your response. How would you say the y501p is? How is the portability? Does it heat up quickly? What about the battery life? I checked and the laptop has amazing specs and is 1050, but it seemed very bulky. It doesn't seem very portable. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2013 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

The office supplied the y510p 16GB ram with dual sli. I rarely use it on battery power but battery life (not to be confused with battery life span) should be in the reviews. The office is involved with app development and such so battery times are never an issue.

It's very portable in my opinion compared to some of our first laptops such as the HP Compaq R3000 models.

All laptops will heat up under gaming and such so the only "cool" devices today are tablets which are so far, without fans due to the low heat production.

The office does have the Asus Transformer tf3000 and it's the same form factor as their new Windows 8 Pro model so that and the Asus x202e is downright small and usable.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!