Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Windows Defender Probs again

I was trying to find my posts on the above subject from when I was having problems a couple of weeks ago or whenever it was. I've been gone and am now back and when going to my profile it shows 0 posts -- in fact, 0 everything.

What happened?

Thanks

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Defender Probs again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Defender Probs again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i saw you have 900+ posts in profile

In reply to: Windows Defender Probs again

Collapse -
Golly -- I'm exasperated!

In reply to: i saw you have 900+ posts in profile

I still can't see any of my messages; cnet would not let me log in -- it took 6 tries this go around; it's also extremely slow (is that because it's Friday night).

Anyway, thanks David for the link. I'll take a look at it. I'm about ready to chuck Defender. It's a royal PITA when it doesn't work, which is most of the time (LOL)!

I'm getting the same stuff I did before and I see from someone else's post, it's another hassle.

Nice to see you.

TTYL

Julea

Collapse -
if I remember correctly

In reply to: Golly -- I'm exasperated!

you changed your rule set in Kerio causing Defender to malfunction.

Check with tech support at Kerio, uninstall it and Bit Defender, re-install Bit Defender first, then Kerio.

Must admit my older Kerio reacted to it too and I indicated 'deny' and posted in the Defender Forum.

Their answer satisfied me and I wrote an 'allow' rule for Port 443 outbound.

My Kerio however is an older version that allows me to change things at will.

In your case I think that once you 'deny' something the rule stays fixed.

So a complete uninstall install of both and re-install may be the solution.

For the record, NO problems with Bitdefender.

Collapse -
Good morning David -- I'm beginning to wonder

In reply to: if I remember correctly

if WD is working ok afterall. I've been gone all week and when I came home and started updating PC, it showed last scan for WD on 4/20. I manually went to get update and that's when I got the error msg about wrong disc (like I did before). That's what made me think it wasn't working.

You remembered correctly about my incorrectly blocking it before; however, I was able to go in and unblock it. My blocking and unblocking is done differently than on your older Kerio -- actually, it's pretty easy, IF you know how (LOL)!

I have my WD set to scan daily at 10 p.m. Also, it's set to check for updates BEFORE scanning. Guess the reason the last scan date wasn't 4/21 is because hubby didn't have PC on at 10 p.m. that day. It did fine last night and this morning shows last scan was done at 10 p.m. on 4/21.

I really wonder if it got any updates before the scan, but guess I'll leave well enough alone and see what happens. It just won't let me get updates manually.

Before when it went haywire, it had been doing the scans and just not doing the updates because it finally did tell me it hadn't been updated for some time. Wonder when it will tell me that this time.

Thanks for checking back.

Julea

Collapse -
Just a suggestion Julea but

In reply to: Good morning David -- I'm beginning to wonder

you could also check Window Updates and see if anything is available. Some people are getting their Defender updates that way.

Collapse -
Julea, Roddy is correct

In reply to: Just a suggestion Julea but

was surprised one a.m. when my WUD suddenly activated.

later I checked update history in WUD and found that the update I had seen was from Bitdefender.

so it looks like it is integrated with Windows Update [WUD].

Also FWIW i leave PC on all day while at work and have set this to run at 11:00am, about 2 hr. after AVG scan.

works for me.

David

Collapse -
Wellllllllll -- I'm normally not one who gives up --

In reply to: Julea, Roddy is correct

however, in this case, I'm about to.

I was able to do the Run thing by cutting and pasting the info to remove the last update. I uninstalled and went to MS and downloaded WU. Sameo, sameo!

It would not update; I went to WU and it would not update there either.

Someone tell me to uninstall this thing and forget about it (LOL)! The only thing that worked before was a new version which Carol alerted me to. So guess, I'll have to wait until another new version appears.

This is crazy! I sure don't want to spend my time uninstalling and reinstalling something that's breaking all the time. I know it's BETA, but it PITA in my books. It's nice when it works -- but when does it work??

Julea

Collapse -
I was able to do the Run thing by cutting and pasting the in

In reply to: Wellllllllll -- I'm normally not one who gives up --

'I was able to do the Run thing by cutting and pasting the info to remove the last update'.

why not just Run from source instead of all this convoluted stuff??

david
Collapse -
It just won't run period -- I've removed and maybe

In reply to: I was able to do the Run thing by cutting and pasting the in

IF another version comes along, I'll try once again. I'm tired of messing with it. I didn't have problems pre WD and certainly have had since.

Julea

Collapse -
Julea, I Removed Mine Also...

In reply to: It just won't run period -- I've removed and maybe

I had WD on my office machine and it consistently wouldn't update.. For some reason, it would NEVER update from with the program GUI and required updating from the Windows Update site. Sooner or later, the program would start to fail there as well.. I then follow all things know to man, woman, and beast to clean it off the machine, then reinstall. It might work for a short period but sooner or later, the update wouldn't work . I even tried disabling the Windows Defender service and manually copying the "Definitions" files from one computer to the next.. That did the job but wasn't a long term solution. It's no longer worth the trouble so it's gone..

The strange thing....I've got it running on two machines as home and it works fine..Oh well, that's why they call it BETA.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You have helped Grif -- reassured me more or less!

In reply to: Julea, I Removed Mine Also...

Sounds like similar problems. It was short-term BETA for me (LOL).

By the way -- I'm on my way to the computer help forum with a question -- would you meet me over there -- it's re: slow downloading on one of my OE accounts and not appropriate for here.

Thanks for your input.

Julea

Collapse -
Ah OH! Goodness gracious! I had no clue they

In reply to: Just a suggestion Julea but

were available through that. I just went there and have many many failed attempts both from the first time when having WD and now. I think it's just meant that I do not have this handy utility on ye old PC.

Thanks for letting me know about the WU, but it was unsuccessful too.

Julea

Collapse -
Julea

In reply to: Windows Defender Probs again

I was wondering what happend,I posted this link for you

Click HERE

Also check the forum feedback and you will see some forum issues.

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks much for info; missed your post before.

In reply to: Julea

Collapse -
Hey Tom -- it worked!

In reply to: Julea

At least the ability to copy and paste worked for me. It did not help WD to work properly again; however, I have printed off the instructions for my archives and was able to remove the update by copying and pasting the info in the RUN block.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

Julea

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome Julea

In reply to: Hey Tom -- it worked!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.