Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Defender annoyance

by new england / October 19, 2008 8:53 AM PDT

We have 2 PC's- both run xp SP3, and both have the exact version of Defender 1.1.1593.0
version 1.45.430.0 and each runs every night at 2:00AM. On one machine (laptop),
the Defender results window remains open and states that no errors were found. On
the other (desktop), that window closes after each scan, it also finds no errors.
I cannot locate a setting on Defender or in Control Panel tools (on laptop) to have
Defender close its status window when it's done executing. Windows support staff
had no idea why this is happening. Both PC's have the same security tools (McAfee,
SpyWare Blaster, AdAware, Windows Firewall). Ideas, anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Defender annoyance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Defender annoyance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why does it run . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 19, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

Every night? Are you a careless browser? If you set your browser to prompt for all cookies, and deny 99% of them, and practice safe surfing, a nightly run of Defender is not necessary. Nor is leaving the PCs on 24/7.

Collapse -
I can't see anything either.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 8:48 PM PDT

I have Windows Defender, (same version), running in the background, and when I perform a manual scan the status window remains open until I close it. I see no setting to change this so I have had to live with it.

It's interesting to note that on one of your systems the window closes after the scan. I wonder if it is a switch in the scheduled tasks entry.

The command in my schedule looks like this;
"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" Scan -RestrictPrivileges

Can you check the schedule tasks entry in both of your systems to see if there is a difference between the two? My own scan doesn't take place because the computer isn't running at the scheduled time. But that's my own choice.

I tend to agree that, for anti-spyware scans, a daily scan isn't really necessary, unlike anti-virus scans.

Mark

Collapse -
Windows Defender annoyance
by new england / October 20, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

Mark, thanks for your comments. The excution line on my laptop is different from yours. Mine is: C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MSASCui.exe
but that's not the interesting observation. Defender has its own scheduler built in. On the laptop, there is also a "scheduled task" to run Defender in Control Panel. On our desktop, there is no such task, so perhaps the answer is to delete the scheduled task and simply set the schedule (under options in Defender)to run when I want. This sounds like the answer, because I made a change last night to only run it once/week (Thursday), and yet the status window was there again this morning (Monday). I will delete the duplicate schedule and see if that fixes it. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Collapse -
Ahh, that sounds like it then.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 20, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

Good catch. If one is in the Task Scheduler, and the other is set by the software itself, then that would seem to be the difference you are looking for.

There's a point about Windows Defender's scheduling. Windows Defender used to be Microsoft AntiSpyware, based on the Giant AntiSpyware software. When it was Microsoft AntiSpyware there was a bug in the scheduling component that would not allow either once a week scanning, or changing the time to afternoons. I haven't checked if WD has solved this issue before now, but the forum posts below suggests this is still something of an issue;

http://www.windowsbbs.com/general-security/60085-windows-defender-auto-scan-dont-work.html

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Problem Solved- Windows Defender
by new england / October 20, 2008 10:04 PM PDT

Mark, it was as we suspected. There was an entry in the Control Panel scheduler function for WD to run. That schedule was different than the schedule in the tool itself. By deleting the Control Panel task, there was no status window this morning. Thanks to the users of this forum, once again, you people are the best.

Len

Collapse -
(NT) Good. Glad we could help.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2008 1:53 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?