Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Defender along with Kaspersky 2009

by themcculleys / September 20, 2008 10:36 AM PDT

I installed Kaspersky 2009 and I think I should not have Windows Defender running at the same time. Can someone please verify that it is best to let Kaspersky do its work and not use Defender?

I know how to stop the updates. However when I try to stop if from starting at "start up" it won't let me stop it.

Can someone give me detailed directions to stop defender if this is what I should be doing???

Thanks so much for your help!
G

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Defender along with Kaspersky 2009
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Defender along with Kaspersky 2009
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which one
by Jimmy Greystone / September 20, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

Which Kaspersky product do you have? They have just an anti-virus program, and then they have a full on security suite.

If it's the former, may as well keep Windows Defender around, even though it's next to useless. If it's the latter, probably better to switch it off. And to switch it off, I just disabled the Windows Defender service from the control panel.

Collapse -
I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
by themcculleys / September 20, 2008 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Which one

I am able to stop Defender from running at start up. Then when I click on "currently running programs" it says "permitted". I then tried to highlight and use the task manager and clicked on "end task" and it makes the defender go away. However when I go back and check the currently running programs, it shows it to be "permitted" again. So it basically is running in the background it would seem, even thought I have it set not to run or do any updates.

I am running Vista 64 bit, so perhaps that is different?

Thanks

Collapse -
I run KAV 2009 AV with Vista 32 bit,the method I used.....
by Tony Holmes / September 20, 2008 10:44 PM PDT

should be similar,courtesy of "Black Viper".

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXPx64/servicecfg.htm

Click start,click run.

Type "services.msc" in the run box,click ok,maximize the next screen.

Scroll the list,left click "Windows Defender" to highlite.

Right click and select "properties".

Look at "service status" in the new window,if it doesn't say "stopped",click stop,apply and ok.

In the same window,look at "startup type",click the scroll button,select "disabled",click apply,click ok.

It will not bother you anymore.

Good luck!

Collapse -
To Tony, It won't work
by themcculleys / September 20, 2008 11:19 PM PDT

I followed your directions to a T! Then I went back to the start, programs and clicked on Windows Defender.

Here is what I got:
"Service has Stopped" window.
A problem caused this program service to stop. To restart the service, RESTART your computer or search help and support on how to start a service manually.

So basically it is telling me that when I do any restart, the program is going to go back up and running.

Last night after searching for hours, this seems to be an ongoing problem with most people.

Is there going to be a conflict with Windows running and Kaspersky 2009 running, I can't seem to find that out for sure.

Thanks Tony
G

Collapse -
Sorry,I should have warned you...
by Tony Holmes / September 21, 2008 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: To Tony, It won't work

and given you the alternate method.The service is stopped and won't restart but in it's place you've got that error message,you shouldn't have to put up with that.You can fix it though and it will only take a few min.

Go back into "services.msc",reverse what you did before and put defender back on "automatic",restart the computer.

Click start,programs,click "windows defender",the program should now open.

Click "tools",click options under "tools and settings".You will uncheck only two of the boxes you see.

Under ?Real-time protection options?,uncheck "Use real-time protection (recommended)".

Scroll down to "Administrator options",uncheck "Use Windows Defender ".Both of these boxes have to be unchecked to completely stop it.

Click "save".Once you click save,Defender is removed and clicking on Defender in the programs menu will give you a "defender is turned of dialog",you will not be able to turn it on again.

Both Defender and the error message should now be gone.It is not necessary to go back into "services.msc" again to disable it once you've removed it.If you do,the error message will return.

Good luck!!

Collapse -
Tony I do not have the option............
by themcculleys / September 21, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

When I open Windows Defender, I click on tools, options and this is ALL I have to choose from:

1. A box to check (which I have unchecked at this time) is "Auto Scan My Computer

2. Default Actions. There is nothing here that takes me to administrator or anything else, just alert levels

Collapse -
I think I found the problem.....
by Tony Holmes / September 21, 2008 10:02 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?