Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows creating multiple printer copies

by Seattech / September 22, 2012 3:27 AM PDT

Environment: 3 identical stationary printers and 1 laptop that's will use any 1 of the 3 given printers at different times.

Goal: to allow the laptop to be switched between the 3 printers without windows creating multiple copies of the same model printer

Problem: each time the laptop is hooked up to a new printer, windows creates another copy of the same model printer in the "printers" list.

I realize there is probably a s/n burned into the firmware of the printers that causes windows to see that it is a different printer (regardless if it's the same make and model). Is there a way to make windows think that all these printers are the same exact printer?

Any help, ideas, or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows creating multiple printer copies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows creating multiple printer copies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2012 4:37 AM PDT

Turns out Windows does this as I move the printer from one USB port to another.

I've yet to find any fix or workaround from Microsoft. Bug? Debateable.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by Seattech / September 22, 2012 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too.

My issue is that I physically multiple printers, and even though they are the same model, windows creates multiple copies of the printer. Also plugging them into the same USB port each time doesn't make any difference.

Collapse -
I've seen that too. But for that I have an explainer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2012 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

Because you might plug in 3 of the same make/model printer, each one has to be UNIQUE so you can print to the one you selected. You might put letterhead in one, envelopes in another and plain in the last one. If the system was made to be dumb, then you would hear screams from those that wanted more than one printer.

So that's not a bug either!
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Why this requirement?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 22, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

You give the 3 printers different names, so the only minor nuisance is that only one can be the standard printer, so - when using the other two, you'll have to select the right printer in the print dialog. Or maybe, you didn't tell, even that is not necessary if they use the same USB port and all 3 work (you didn't tell about that).
So why care?

Kees

Collapse -
More info
by Seattech / September 22, 2012 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Why this requirement?

I used my example of 3 printers and 1 laptop to keep it simple but in actuality the environment is 20+ stationary pocketjet printers and 20+ mobile laptops. One day a laptop might be paired with pocketjet printer number 1 and another day it might be paired with pocketjet printer number 10. In this scenario we are dealing with tons of copies of one type of printer on the same laptop. They are always plugged into the same USB port as well, so that doesn't make a difference. To keep everything as user friendly as possible it seems like the best solution would be to find a way to make windows think they are all the same printer.

Collapse -
That's why, years ago
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2012 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

When we did this we used serial printer ports. That way, nothing smart was going to happen and create more issues.

Today I have to write smarter apps to deal with this.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!