Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Crashes to a black screen randomly during operation

by croikie84 / January 29, 2009 12:36 AM PST

I have never seen this before and I'm stumped.
I have a computer with Windows Media Center on it. Basically XP but it's called Media Center. It's a few years old but still runs fast, its responsive and works great up until now.

The computer is used by another user than me but I am in charge of making it work.

So the user was in a meeting, she came back to the computer and a black screen was displayed. The screen had some words on it displaying: asking us to insert bootable media and then to press any key to continue.

The strange thing about this is that the computer was turned on and working, she walked away for an hour or so and came back to this screen. No one touched the computer.

So I jumped onto the computer and pressed the any key and the message repeated itself. So I ctrl-alt-del and it seemed to restart but returned to the same message.
I then turned off the computer by pressing the button and then I turned the computer back on and everything worked just fine. It then happened two hours later. Same results.

So I checked event view and Windows Search 4.0 wasn't working, the index was corrupted so I disabled Windows search in compmgmt.msc services area. That seemed to work for a day and then it happened again sometime during the evening.
So the next morning I turned the computer off and back on and went back to the event viewer. I found multiple DCOM errors and the description of the error was dcom was attaempted to start a service called WSearch with arguments but couldn't and failed. There were about 8 or 10 of these errors in a row (all withing a minute). This happened at 6:00 pm. And then There were no more events until I rebooted the computer that morning at 8:50 am.

So I uninstalled Windows Search 4.0 completely today and am hoping this has solved the issue but I really won't know if it worked for a couple of days with no crashes. And I can't just sit and do nothing, I need to research this. I looked on the web for this issue and found nothing even close to my situation.

I can't take control of the computer for long periods of time during the day. Since it is our Accountants computer and we are going through a merger right now. She NEEDS to work during the work day. And the problem is I can't replicate the crash. It seems to happen randomly so I have the computer after 4:30 pm Central Time.

Right now the computer is working but is a ticking time bomb to crash.

If there is any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
same issue
by croikie84 / January 29, 2009 12:38 AM PST

Update.
It just happened again. But this time a blinking cursor appeared. No text.

I reread the event viewer and there was disk issues. I plan on running CHKDSK on the drive and I will update in an hour.

Collapse -
Chkdsk
by croikie84 / January 29, 2009 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: same issue

So I ran chkdsk on the harddisk and nothing appeared wrong.
I'm stumped and the computer has worked all day today just fine.

?!?!?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!