General discussion

windows could not start

because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system.
i need help to get my other computer working it displays this message and i dont know what to do? please help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: windows could not start
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows could not start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Follow these steps

If I knew what type of PC it was and as much information on it, like ram, drives, operating system, etc... it would help. Assuming XP and would guess OEM, but just a guess until you respond with more detail. When you do post back, I will have a link and information for you.

- Collapse -
more info

ok so here is more info my computer is a dell it has 512MB 280GHZ and then it says dell demension 3000 series intel pentium 4 processor. the computer was used by my kids to go on kids websites so i dont have any important files on there but the problem is that i cant go on any website the only thing it lets me do is F2 and F12 i habe an my main computer and this is where im sending this message right now so i guess my main question is if i can buy the cd rom that is asking me for and where? thank you for your help.

- Collapse -
Sounds pretty simple

Sounds pretty simple to me, regardless of system specs. You OS install is hosed, and you need to reinstall. So hopefully you have backups of important files.

- Collapse -
Reason for system specs

The system is hosed, yes but a reinstall isn't the only option.

The reason I waited for system specs, well a couple of reasons, one, if OEM, and using the link posted by kees, which is same link I was going to post, the OEM can get locked out of recovery.
Also, OEMs tend to have a recovery partition and\or disk that may have a repair option which would be much easier for them.

- Collapse -
Re: missing or currupt registry
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
tells the fix for XP. Pretty simple, but you need the CD to boot from (unless you made the precaution of installing the recovery console onto the hard disk).

The procedure might different for Vista or 7, but as you didn't tell which version of Windows you have, I didn't take the trouble to find those for you.

Kees
- Collapse -
Here is the phrase that really matters here:

I need help, to get my other computer, working. It displays this message(File in system folder missing/corrupt. Displays destination folder of the error = C:\Windows\system32\config\system) and, I don't know what to do? please help! 'I fully corrected the phrase, so that, everybody can understand that poster's request for help.'

In my opinion, you should not attempt to clean install your machine with XP. Try to do a 'Repair current installation' instead. Re-apply the Service Packs by starting the 2nd one and, then, the 3rd one. Do a thorough 'Windows Update' featured link for all the other updates and upgrades.

Now, just because, I have absolutely no idea of the specs of such machine, upgrading to a newer O.S. is not a good idea, for an advice to do/give.

Hope that helps in a thoroughly manner.
Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info