Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Classic Style

Computer: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.01 GHz 480 MB RAM.

Problem: I have been able to keep the Windows Classic Style appearance set up on this pc since I had it, that is, until recently. The windows classic style will not stay set now. After a reboot or starting it up for the day, it's been resetting itself to the Windows XP Style, and I have no idea why.

Any help? (P.S. I'm not about to pay $59 to Microsoft to resolve an issue like this. Plain )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Classic Style
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Classic Style
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How......

In reply to: Windows Classic Style

are you setting Classic Style on your system? Happy

I run it and set it the following way, no problems after years of this setting.

Rightclick on Taskbar > Properties > start menu tab > enable at the bottom Classic Style and choose from there.

Microsoft, (shocked) ......we can help you I hope.

kind regards,

Collapse -
This is how...

In reply to: How......

This is how I've been doing it, and it works the same way. I right-click on the desktop, select Properties, go to the Appearance tab, select Windows Classic style, then click on Apply.

How I do it isn't the issue here. After clicking Apply, it does change over to the classic style. The problem is it no longer holds that setting change. If I have to reboot, or shut down for the night and start it up the following day, it resets itself back to the XP style.

That's the part I can't figure out, is how and why it's resetting itself, and how can I fix it.

Thank you for replying to my post though, I wasn't too certain if anyone was going to hit on such a topic as this.

Collapse -
I reaslised......

In reply to: This is how...

that how you enabled Classic View was not the problem, but needed to know how YOU did it to make sure we are both talking about the same topic.

Try this site,http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tips_page.htm
I have plowed through it, #151 may help in some way. In any case the link is good to save to your favorites.

I would suggest you do the following as I feel you are missing files from Windows XP/SP2 OS. The following exercise cannot hurt, in fact it should be run from time to time.

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type: sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot your machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.

System Restore Point facility

Go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
see how you go.

Note 1
Using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2
It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive CHappy unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.

Collapse -
Thank You

In reply to: I reaslised......

Just running the SFC scan fixed whatever it was that was causing the reset. Not only do I want to thank you for your assistance with this issue, but I wanted to thank you for educating me on how to run SFC on XP. Happy

I've only been using XP for about a year now, I was a 98se diehard, I didn't want to move to XP. But my poor pc that I was using was outdated, and I really needed an upgrade, so I ended up with XP on this machine that I had built at a local pc shop here.

I use to run SFC regularly, along with Disk Cleanup, Scan Disk, and Defrag. I did a Create Shortcut on the SFC, on my 98se machine, and placed that shortcut under the System Tools on the menu. Heh, it took me awhile to discover where they hid the scan disk on XP, but I found it, along with defrag.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help. Happy

-Vanyel

Collapse -
Great....

In reply to: Thank You

that you have your Classic view back and holding the setting, good work. Thank you also for letting us know that the suggestions worked for you.

kind regards,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.