HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows cannot find file "http:// whatever.com"

by Howmu / September 24, 2007 6:09 AM PDT

When I click on a desktop shortcut to access a program like Google or C Net I get a message that says the above (in the subject title) It says also "be sure you typed the name corectly and try again. If I do nothing, the site is accessed some15 or 20 seconds later. If I type the site (such as Google.com) into my browser the computer accesses the site immediately without the error message. Can I correct this problem? Computer information is in my profile. This has started recently. A scan for spyware and adware is clean.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows cannot find file "http:// whatever.com"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows cannot find file "http:// whatever.com"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Scan?
by j.d13 / September 24, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

A scan is not enough. You need to run multiple scans with different programs each time. At a minimum we're talking Spybot, Adaware, and AVG Anti-Spyware.

Then if you get rid of IE, Outlook and/or Outlook Express, any file sharing programs, or pirated programs, malware won't be an issue for you.

Collapse -
I have already run adaware, spybot, Avg anti spyware,
by Howmu / September 24, 2007 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: A Scan?

AVG rootkit, CCleaner,and a complete virus scan with Avast and there has been no change in the problem and very little detected. I do not use IE although I do use OE. I welcome any other suggestions and am thinking of switching to G Mail which I do have on my computer but rarely use. But I can't believe that my current problem is related to OE.

Collapse -
In that case...
by j.d13 / September 24, 2007 9:17 AM PDT

Sounds like a simple case of some DNS servers on the fritz at your ISP. Since it's a quick, easy, and free way to test things, try using the OpenDNS servers to see if that resolves the problem.

http://www.opendns.org

Swap out the IP addresses for your ISP with some from OpenDNS, see if the problem goes away. Be sure to disconnect and then reconnect to make sure the changes take effect. If the problem goes away, you can keep using OpenDNS for good, or just until your ISP sorts things out. If it doesn't go away, then you can always come back, and you've eliminated one more possibility.

Also, you aren't using any kind of web accelerator program or anything that claims to enhance your Internet connection in any way are you? Whether or not it was supplied by your ISP or downloaded by you.

Collapse -
Before trying your suggestions about DNS
by Howmu / September 24, 2007 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: In that case...

I tried changing my default browser from Firefox, back to IE. To my surprise, everything functioned perfectly when clicking a desktop shortcut and lightning fast compared to Firefox. I thought the trouble was that something was corrupted in Firefox, so I uninstalled it and then reinstalled the latest version. Same problem reoccurred. So right now I am back with IE although I have heard bad reports about it. Can you tell me more explicitly why so many are so down on IE?

Collapse -
Security
by j.d13 / September 25, 2007 1:46 AM PDT

The problem with IE is it's lack of security. Probably 99% of all malware is designed to take advantage of IE security flaws to get its way onto someone's system. Now, after 5-6 years of pretty regular patching on the part of Microsoft, it's gotten considerably better, but still not even close to where it should have been to begin with. A lot of times, all you have to do is merely visit some website for malware to be installed. You won't be asked if you want to install some ActiveX control or anything else. It's commonly referred to as a "drive by" installation. There have also been problems with IE where the site you see in the address bar isn't the site you're actually on. The new IE7 feature of the anti-phishing check has been proven to be completely worthless (it just takes too long for the list of sites to be updated). There have been numerous bugs which make it easy for someone to steal things like credit card numbers and passwords you enter into websites, even from secured connections. Microsoft also has a habit of sitting on certain security flaws, and not patching them for months, even years sometimes, if they ever get patched at all. The typical turnaround time for a security flaw in IE is around 2 weeks, while Firefox usually has a fix out within 2 days. And to the extremely literal of us out there, note that I said typical, meaning average, or sometimes its faster, sometimes its slower.

From what you've said now, I might think your Firefox profile was somehow corrupted. A fairly rare, but not unheard of problem. One that uninstalling and reinstalling won't fix.

In C:\Documents and Setting\<Your User Name>\Application Data there will be a Mozilla directory. Delete or rename it, then restart Firefox, which should force it to make a new profile. There are other ways to do this, I just find this method the most reliable.

If that doesn't fix it, then you've got something else on your system that's messing with Firefox. Something like some kind of web or download accelerator that I mentioned before, which may not have been fully tested with Firefox, and relies on some IE specific convention for doing things.

Collapse -
Take away the space
by PudgyOne / September 24, 2007 11:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
You're right
by bentedgz / September 26, 2007 1:36 AM PDT

Changing the default browser is what caused the problem (had this one myself). Firefox doesn't have a context option to "create shortcut" and apparently microsoft resents trying to use the ones created by IE.

Personally, I wish mozilla would add the shortcut function. If you want to use previously created shortcuts in Firefox there is a fix. Changing the "internet shortcut" file association in folder options will work on most things, but if the site link has a ".php" suffix your chances aren't good.

Collapse -
A Solution?
by dannigirl2014 / April 22, 2008 8:46 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.