HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows Cannot Connect To "Router Name"

by jdgreen92086 / July 21, 2009 10:18 AM PDT

My laptop say "Windows Cannot Connect To Netgear", which is my router. It's 15 feet away and I can connect to it fine usually. Sometimes I'll be doing something and my laptop cannot connect to my router, it will say "Windows Cannot Connect To Netgear" even though it appears in the network list and I can connect to other routers just fine. My router uses WPA-Personal/AES. What can I do to correct this problem.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Cannot Connect To "Router Name"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Cannot Connect To "Router Name"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Resetting It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 12:27 AM PDT

Turn off the computer, then turn off the router, then turn off the modem (if it's a separate modem). Wait for 10 minutes, then reverse the process.. Turn on the modem, wait two minutes for it to reinitialize, then turn on the router, wait two minutes, then turn on the computer.

In addition, many will have problems when they disable the SSID broadcast in the router settings.. Make sure the SSID is not disabled.

Tried changing channels on the router? Some channels may experience interference where others will work fine.

If that still doesn't fix the problem, then try using a second laptop to confirm the problem is with the router and not with the laptop.. If the problem still occurs with a second laptop, think about replacing the router.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
bump
by jdgreen92086 / July 22, 2009 12:28 AM PDT

bump

thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.