Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows Can't Read Disk

by Tom_SF / October 20, 2014 5:28 AM PDT

I keep getting this message: Windows Can't Read Disk in Drive E:\. This applies to both CD and DVD drives.

I was transferring pictures to a DVD until it had no more room. When I changed discs, the machine said it couldn't "read " the disc. Same situation for both drives. I've changed discs and ran a system restore to no avail.

Outside of waiting for Windows 10, what is the solution for this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Can't Read Disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Can't Read Disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell more about these "transfers"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

Because moving files can fail, you would copy them so you have a second chance.

I can't tell how you created said DVD so recovery is too much guesswork. It's not a Windows issue IMO so let's here more and I'll note ISOBUSTER for you to read about.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Windows can't read disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 6:14 AM PDT

- Did you reboot after the "disk full" error (assuming it gave an error)?
- Is that DVD closed, so you can read it on another PC?
- Any problem for the drive in Device Manager?
- Did you try to delete that Device from Device Manager in Safe Mode, and reboot to let Windows re-detect it?
- Why do you think Windows 10 would help here?

Kees

Collapse -
Still Can't Read Disks
by Tom_SF / October 25, 2014 1:43 AM PDT

I did not reboot after the error, but I have many times since.

The disk can be read on another machine.

Device manager says both drives are working properly.

I tried uninstalling the drives. They re-installed OK but the same problem persists.

It happened on both drives simultaneously.

Burning works if I use Cyberlink's Power 2 Go program, but I still want the computer's system to work.

The recording tab disappeared.

Why can't MS make something that WORKS!!!!????

Collapse -
Re: disks
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 25, 2014 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Still Can't Read Disks

Your original problem was: Windows can't read a disk in drive e: And it applies to both CD and DVD drives. That's strange, of course. I mean: drive e: is a CD drive, or drive e: is a DVD drive, but it can't be both. Maybe you meant "My e:-drive (a DVD-burner) can't read disk (no CD's and no DVD's)"? Or: my e:-drive [??] and my f-drive [what's that?] can't read any disk", since in your reply you're talking about 2 drves.

Now you tell:
1. I can burn with a burning program. That's nice, but not necessary relevant for reading.
2. The recording tab disappeared. What recording tab in what program?

Now try if those drives work (both reading and burning) if you boot from a Linux Live disk (or USB-stick). If they don't, it's not a Microsoft issue, but a hardware issue. If they do, better see if re-installing Windows helps (that's better than waiting half a year for Windows 10).

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
If it can't read the media
by orlbuckeye / October 26, 2014 9:52 PM PDT

It's a prblem with the media. Your optical drive is both a CD & DVD reader and writer. MS doesn't make the CD & DVD reader,the drivers for that device or the media your attempting to read. .

Collapse -
Here's how it happened.
by Tom_SF / October 27, 2014 12:49 AM PDT

I tried to transfer pictures to the DVD and there wasn't enough room.

I changed the DVD and attempted to transfer pictures again. That's when I got the message "Windows can't read the disc in Drive E:\" This happened on both drives.

I also looked at movie maker and there's no longer a way for me to transfer movies to DVD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.