General discussion

Windows can't check for updates

For the past month and a half, I have been unable to check for windows update, and a message comes up every 20 minutes or so and says "Windows host server has stopped working". I have ran Advanced system care, ad-aware, AVG, and malwarebytes anti-malware, but nothing comes up. no proxies, i can browse. Windows Vista 32-bit. No error messages coming from the windows update, just a red X where the shield is. I'm open to suggestions, sorry if this is vague.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows can't check for updates
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows can't check for updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Are you sure that is the EXACT message?
- Collapse -
"Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working"

you are correct, except the "and was closed" part is not in the message. it gives me an option to check online for solutions, and if I click on that, it tells me to run windows update, which I can't do.i went through the methods on that link, and my computer does not match any of those.

Here is the problem signature for the message.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: svchost.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918b89
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Fault Module Timestamp: 49e03821
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0004714e
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4a3d
Additional Information 2: c79c8c21b0e4702d54b9aebf158b2ec4
Additional Information 3: f371
Additional Information 4: 3b5338b3aed6dc4728911b2d00a3b11f

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

- Collapse -
WindowsUpdate_80072EFE

I installed the windows update in that link, and previously there was no error message, no I am getting an error from windows update.

WindowsUpdate_80072EFE

I searched Google for assistance but nothing there has helped either.

- Collapse -
Lots of causes for that error

FIRST, make sure you are using an ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT and again re-install the updater. This time do it via the command prompt and have the Windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe file located in a directory OUTSIDE the Windows directory. If you have a separate drive or partition or a USB flash drive you can put it on it would be great.

Once you have located the file anywhere OUTSIDE the Windows directory open a command prompt (START > Run >cmd ) from which to run the command.

In this command prompt type the full path and file name where you located the file and add the /wuforce switch. Assuming you put the Windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe file on a USB flash drive and it is seen as drive F the command you would use is:

F:\Windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Sometimes rebooting your modem and router will eliminate the error.

On a few machines it requires getting and running this file for removal of a rootkit -
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

It can also be caused by firewalls, proxie servers and often by corrupted category files.

Turn off any firewall and try the update - if this works locate the rule not allowing the connection if it doesn't work ...

Open Internet Options in the Control Panel then on the Connections tab click on the LAN settings button then see if a proxy server is checked. If it is make a note of the settings (you may want to re-enable it later) and uncheck it and OK your way out. If this all ows you to access Windows Update you are done but if it doesn't ...

Delete the CatRoot2 folder (NOT the CatRoot folder):

A: Stop Cryptographic Services:
1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.
2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:
1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.
2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

(Assuming your Windows is installed in C:\Windows)

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:
1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.
2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

After performing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update website.

If you get an error about files in use when deleting try renaming the CatRoot2 folder. Also try it in Safe Mode if necessary.

CNET Forums

Forum Info