Computer Help forum

General discussion

windows boot fast is recomended ?

by -danutz- / March 10, 2007 11:13 PM PST

these days i found something that enables windows to boot fast, so i tried on my computer and really works, anyway it could have some other efects, i mean is secure ?

Here's how to do it:
Locate the following registry...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters
On the EnablePrefetcher value, change the setting from 3 to 5 (decimal) and then restart your pc.

it worked for me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows boot fast is recomended ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows boot fast is recomended ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MYTH!!! Junk advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2007 11:33 PM PST
Collapse -
hmmm
by -danutz- / March 10, 2007 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: MYTH!!! Junk advice.

have you even tryed before saying that ? just put 5 even if it says doesn't exist and restart your pc ... then come and post, you will se that works and is more faster

Collapse -
Junk advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2007 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm

Sorry, but there are many more tweaks out there like this. All have responses like "try it, it works." But the reality is, they are bad advice.

See link for more.

Bob

Collapse -
5 Doesn't Exist
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm

...and yes, I've tried it. (Settings 0-3 are the only proper settings.) If you want to disable the Prefetcher entirely, change it to 0, but I don't recommend it. It actually SLOWS the boot down. See the link below for other "myths" about Prefetch and XP issues. (Look in the "Optimization Myths" section for Prefetch info.):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
If you experience slow booting
by Cursorcowboy / March 11, 2007 11:53 PM PDT

or possible memory related problems, the Prefetch may contain corrupt, invalid, or obsolete information. Simply delete the content of the folder C:\windows\prefetch which will be rebuilt in three days or you can create a new prefetch immediate (10-15 minutes) by initiating the following command on the Run line and then pressing ENTER:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Collapse -
:)
by -danutz- / March 11, 2007 11:58 PM PDT

ok thx i will try it and reply what i got

Collapse -
EnablePrefetch located in Registry Editor
by 3eagles_52 / March 30, 2007 6:24 AM PDT

C/NET suggests changing EnablePrefetch in Registry to 5 ( in decimal-not hexadecimal) but every time i try it it reverts back to hexadecimal How can I get it to stay in Decimal?

Collapse -
Where exactly does "C/NET" suggest that?
by Edward ODaniel / March 30, 2007 6:51 AM PDT

Curious minds want to know because EnablePrefetcher only accepts limited hard coded values and they do not go as high as 5:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms940847.aspx

The EnablePrefetcher key has the following values:

0 = Disabled
1 = Application launch prefetching enabled
2 = Boot prefetching enabled
3 = Application launch and boot enabled

Can you provide a link to where this supposed CNET suggestion is posted?

Collapse -
EnablePrefetch
by 3eagles_52 / April 1, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

In the C/NET course called "Speed Up Your Computer", one of the lessons made mention of this! And my Registry DOES go up to 5.

Collapse -
No link?
by Edward ODaniel / April 1, 2007 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: EnablePrefetch

you can enter a value of 105 if you desire (or 555 if you really like the number) but the OS is hard coded to only work with 4 specific values -- 0, 1, 2, and 3.

Collapse -
Nope, 5 Doesn't Exist..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 1, 2007 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: EnablePrefetch

...and yep, I've tried it. (As mentioned by Edward O', settings 0-3 are the only proper settings.) If you want to disable the Prefetcher entirely, change it to 0, but I don't recommend it. It actually SLOWS the boot down. See the link below for other "myths" about Prefetch and XP issues. (Look in the "Optimization Myths" section for Prefetch info.):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!