Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Automatic Update won't!

I received notification from Microsft regarding a new critical update(I have auto update notification turned on). When I went to the Windows update site this is what I got:

Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started.

I checked and re-checked and I have the correct default settings. I waas able to go in and manually download the update. When I last downloaded updates a month or so ago all was well. Any ideas? TIA!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Automatic Update won't!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Automatic Update won't!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Automatic Update won't!

In reply to: Windows Automatic Update won't!

Are you sharing that you have altered the services that MS setup? We all know to kill the messenger, but some go farther.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Windows Automatic Update won't!

Bob,

I turned off all messengers long ago, and used Black Viper's ideas to turn off other items, but that was over a year ago. I have not done anything to the settings since then, and I have been able to go to the update site and download and install with no issues. Are you loooking for a particular clue?

Collapse -

That was it. You'll need to undo that Black Viper items until you find which it was. Clues are likely to be found in the Event Viewer.

Bob

Collapse -

i have edit the services also but i have printed it out and marked all the settings for the items i changed so it makes it easy to reverse. just a bit to help make things easier in the future. also i only changed a few at a time so if i experienced problems i had a fifty fifty chance of knowing which service caused the problem. hope this helps. Donald

Collapse -

The fly in the ointment here is that since I made the changes 16 months ago I have downloaded and installed at least 24 updates . Since I am seeing signs that others are having problems with automatic update I wonder if it might be an issue on Microsoft's side?

Collapse -

When tou have automatic update enabled, there is nothing you have to do. It will download the latest automatically and notify you when they are downloaded and ask if you want to install now.

Collapse -

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I have auto notification since I don't want every update and some have been problematic. I was notified Friday morning and logged onto Microsofts update site. When I did I got a message that MS was looking for the latest version of update sotware and then gave the message I pasted in my original post. I have an inquiry going on with MS over the issue and I will post my results whether with them or if I solve it.

Collapse -

I don't know if this is true or not, but I have read several reports that the new Windows Update version 5 does not work if you do not have auto-update enabled. In Services enable the Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfers service. Then turn on Automatic Updates via right click My Computer-Properties-Automatic Updates.Try the Windows Update page and see if it works. It won't hurt anything to try it, and you can put it back like it was after this experiment.

Collapse -

Sorry, I reread the posts and realize the 1st one says all these services are already on and set to automatic. Please ignore me. It's too early and my brain is not keeping up with my eyes!!!

Collapse -

Sheila, that did it! I had automnatic updates on but not BIT. Thanks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.