Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

windows auto update

I have always done the windows update by clicking start and then window update and when getting to the site picking what I want. I did this today and it tells me if I want sp2 I will have to turn on auto update. OK, this is fine because I can turn it off later after I get sp2 and do as I have in the past. I will leave on for now. My question is if I have it set for 3:00 AM does this mean it will only check for updates at that time? That does not make since to me. So you have to get up and get online at 3:00 to get your updates or does it check any time you get online and only install at 3:00. Pleas tell me how this works so I can be watching for sp2. I want to do it by auto update and not manually download. Thanks sly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows auto update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows auto update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: windows auto update

In reply to: windows auto update

you can change the time to when you want it to look for updates

Collapse -
Re: windows auto update

In reply to: Re: windows auto update

Yes I understand that but that is not my question. My question is the time that you set it to look for updates is that the only time that it will look. Let us say that we have it set for Everyday at 8:00 AM. Does that mean at only 8:00 will it look? Or will it look every time you get on the internet? Will it try to install only at 8:00 which is what it leads me to believe? I see how to set it by different times and what you want it to do as in auto install or notify you, I just want to understand the time part. Thank you sly

Collapse -
Just a thought

In reply to: Re: windows auto update

The Update will be check and download started on the scheduled time, then it will install (if you choose automatic), If not it just download and give a notice or an Icon on the task bar.

If for any reason you turn off your PC, before it finish downloading, then the next time you turn on your PC, the download will resume.

After you have finished (download and install), then the automatic update will start and check for update on the scheduled time.

Anyway, thats only my thought.

Enjoy your weekend...

Collapse -
Re: Just a thought

In reply to: Just a thought

Sounds good to me. So it would only start on the time you set. If this is the case I can control when this happens by leaving auto update off and say turn it on when I want it to start with the only downside being having it happen only at the top of the hour. I want this because of other people in the house. I do not want this going on when my teenage daughter in on the computer. I have the computer set with only one windows user. Thanks sly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.