Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Windows ASSEMBLY folder questions

by siliconfusion / November 23, 2014 12:13 AM PST

Yes, I am the crazy sort of guy who manually sifts through EVERY file and directory on his hard drive and tries to keep things as tidy as possible.

Toward that end, I am hoping to jettison all or most of the 300megs sitting in my WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY Folder.

I am running WIN XP SP2 with 3 gigs of RAM and a blazing fast SSD hard drive. So to my way of thinking all the assembly directory is doing is wasting space - please correct me if I am wrong.

These are my questions:
1) this command: "ngen Uninstall Assembly" - will this command completely remove all items in the 3 native images directories below, and is there any downside to doing this? When I say downside, I mean will it make any apps STOP working or create any errors?

Then as to the 3 GAC directories, is there a fast way to remove all of them, or is it not possible to do so?

I should mention i have the following 4 versions of NET FRAMEWORK INSTALLED:
I'm under the impression i need to keep all 4, if that is incorrect please advise.

These main directories exist in my WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY
GAC
GAC_32
GAC_MSIL
NativeImages1_v1.0.3705
NativeImages1_v1.1.4322
NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32
and the 2 temps (empty)

Thank you kindly for any guidance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows ASSEMBLY folder questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows ASSEMBLY folder questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You could do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2014 12:17 AM PST

Sure. Just toast those after uninstalling all versions of .NET and it's done. Keep in mind that the OS does not require any version of .NET so why not go commando on it?
Bob

Collapse -
NET Framework
by siliconfusion / November 23, 2014 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: You could do that.

I know I installed the net framework because something i have installed, some piece of software, required it, although i forgot which piece it was:) LONG time ago....

So I'm inclined to leave the net framework alone, though I'm just wondering if I need to keep ALL FOUR versions of it.

Collapse -
There are no less than 5 versions of .NET
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2014 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: NET Framework

And you only need the ones for the app that needs it. Since we can always pick up .NET again, I like to toast them all (less is more secure) and wait for an app to declare it needs what version.

Your choice.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.