Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Windows and Browserchoice

by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2010 5:21 PM PST

"As agreed with the European Commission to address competition law issues, Microsoft will distribute a Browser Choice Update to users of Windows in EU countries. Starting in March, the update will be distributed to customers via Windows Update. With this update, customers in the affected countries will be presented with a choice of Internet browsers to select from."

It's identified as Update for Windows (KB976002), and will only be installed for users in the EU and 5 adjoining countries. After this update the Browserchoice.exe program may run automatically once to tell about the existence of Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari (and 7 others on the next screen), and offering to download and install one of those to replace Internet Explorer as your default browser. For Windows 7 users at that moment it has already unpinned Internet Explorer from the taskbar; it will show instruction on how to pin it back.

If you have any questions about the program, either now or when it has run already, use this thread.

Kees

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows and Browserchoice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows and Browserchoice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If only MS was forced to do this worldwide!
by Kanga bill / February 26, 2010 9:04 AM PST

Microsoft MUST be FORCED to adopt this policy Worldwide. I am in Australia, and never use internet explorer for anything other than to check for MS updates, it would be far better to be able to use my preferred browser Firefox.
I have a Firefox extension called 'Windiz', available from; http://windizupdate.com/
However, this only checks for windows updates and does not check for MS office updates, but it does help me from having to use the insecure internet explorer, most of the time.

Collapse -
Just wondering - Does this offer anything...
by cowshill / February 26, 2010 8:22 PM PST

... that a modestly savvy user can't already do for themselves: that is install a different browser and make it the default? Then unpin IE if they want to? I think it's a great step, but I'm not clear if it's offering me anything I haven't already taken care of.

Collapse -
You are spot on.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 9:05 PM PST

I've never bothered myself with any of the anti-trust campaigns against Microsoft for their integration of IE into Windows, because as soon as I get a new system with Windows installed, or if I install it myself, I either use IE to download my own browser of choice, or use my backed-up browser installation file, (on CD, USB, etc), to install it.

Then I forget about IE.

Anyone can do this, and I learnt it myself very early on. Microsoft's acceptance of the EU ruling makes very little difference to those who know how to find and install their own favorite browser. So no, this new move/option offers nothing that we don't already know.

I say nothing, but it does seem at first sight to offer these alternative browsers immediately. That is, the browsers' setup files must be already held on the system, so users do not have to use IE to download other browser setups, or whatever other method they would have to use. Unless of course the option just uses IE to take the user to the browser download web page, but I doubt that is the case, as it would not be fulfilling the EU's ruling.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: browser choice
by Kees Bakker / February 26, 2010 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: You are spot on.

That's exactly what it does. It starts IE and opens http://www.browserchoice.eu. For each of the alternative browsers it offers an 'Install' and a 'Tell me more' button, as you can easily see yourself.

The install-button links to the standard download page of that browser, the tell-me-more button links to an info page from the maker.
That's all. But it's a nice opportunity to download Flock or GreenBrowser, if you feel like it.

Kees

Collapse -
Ahh I see.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2010 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: browser choice

Thanks Kees.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?