General discussion

windows 98se can't boot. Can't find windows on C:

Tried booting from safe mode
Reg. configuration error
missing or corrupted C:\windows\himem.sys
C:\windows\dblbuff.sys
C:\windows\ifshelp.sys
cannot find win.com
Tried booting from boot disk. Ran scandisk and the only problem was an invalid long filename that was unable to fix. Did a dir on C: there is not dir for Windows. any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 98se can't boot. Can't find windows on C:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 98se can't boot. Can't find windows on C:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows disappeared

In reply to: windows 98se can't boot. Can't find windows on C:

Either the folder is renamed somehow (do dir \win.com /s to look for win.com in any other directory) or it's deleted somehow.

You can try if you can find a freeware or shareware undelete program that works in DOS supporting long Windows 95 style filenames, but I don't know any. But I've never looked for it either.

Unless you've got a recent backup of the whole Windows folder (and few people have so), I'm afraid the only solution will be to reinstall Windows from the Windows 98 CD or possible use the recovery CD that came with the computer.

Kees

Collapse -
Use Scanreg

In reply to: Re: Windows disappeared

Get into DOS, most times use tap on F8 button on boot. Select DOS. At C prompt type scanreg /? . It is something like scanreg /restore. Try to find a point where it boots, working backwood from problem. I'm trying to remember, but I'm sure the more knowledgable will fine tune.

Collapse -
I wonder what scanreg /restore ...

In reply to: Use Scanreg

will do if it can't find the .cab-files it takes its input from (they are in the Windows folder that disappeared). And it doesn't seem to have a place to put it's output (the registry and win.ini) to, except \msdos.sys.

Kees

Collapse -
found win.com

In reply to: Re: Windows disappeared

found win.com in C:\dir00006
tried to run win from there. vmm32.vxd is required to run windows. if the file is not your path, you may need to reinstall windows. I ran winver and it came up Windows 98.
could this be windows 98? I upgraded to SE a couple of years ago. Is threr a way to run windows from here? I need all the help I can get. Thank You for your help

Collapse -
more info

In reply to: found win.com

There are 18 of these DIR000* (01-22) no 12,14,16,21
they all seem to be windows files.

Collapse -
Re: windows disappeared

In reply to: more info

Harvey,

This is remarkable, to say the least. After all, you are supposed to know more or less exactly what is on your machine. You can't overlook those 18 folders for over 2 years, I should say.

Without having a detailed look at the contents of all those folders it's impossible to give any good advice.
Try renaming the folder with win.com to windows: that's rename \dir00006 \windows and reboot.
You can only rename one of those folders, of course and depending what's in the other ones you might have to use copy or even xcopy to get the files in the windows folder if they are mysteriously located there. But copy would work, xcopy only if you can locate it (because it's a socalled 'external' command), and you certainly need some DOS-knowledge. I won't give a full treatment now.

Start with the above rename and reboot and see what happens. Post back.
But I fear a reinstall of Windows would be the best way to have a look yourself (with the then Explorer).

Kees

Collapse -
no luck

In reply to: Re: windows disappeared

tried at the C prompt rename\dir00006\windows
required parameter missing

Collapse -
Two spaces needed:

In reply to: no luck

rename \dir00006 \windows

Collapse -

In reply to: Two spaces needed:

invalid parameter -\windows

Collapse -
Never too old to learn.

In reply to: rename \dir00006 \windows

Use MS-DOS for over 20 years, and still type invalid syntax. Now I checked:
rename \dir00006 windows
without the second backslash.

Kees

Collapse -
that almost worked

In reply to: Never too old to learn.

It changed the name to Windows, but when I rebooted it still couldn't find himem.sys, dblbuff.sys, ifshlp,sys.
They are in other Dir000xx dir. Maybe if I can move them all together into windows file they might be found. After the reboot, dir\windows returned to dir\dir00006. might be time to TRY to format and install from oem windows cd.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's very suspect indeed!

In reply to: that almost worked

Collapse -
Lost file and DIR000xx

In reply to: found win.com

Those ?mysterious? DIR000xx files are the result of ScanDisk finding ?lost clusters.?
If you have ScanDisk set to save lost clusters, it creates a file of this name, and successive serial numbers each time it runs and finds this problem. If you find a filename in one of these DIR000xx files, it is most likely incomplete or corrupted else it wouldn?t be here. Recovery is highly unlikely. It may be time to get out your most recent backup of the system files and restore them (you do have good backups, don?t you?) The fact that win.com is here is the reason it wasn?t in the proper place.

There are many reasons that the file structure can get clobbered. A common one is that a write operation was interrupted; an improper shutdown as by a power outage, or a momentary voltage drop can cause this.

With respect to the DIR000xx files, they are more trouble than they are worth. It is virtually impossible to recover any binary information from them. Portions of text data could be recoverable, but there is seldom pure text in there. I do not bother saving the lost clusters found by ScanDisk -- it saves time and disk space. Another big problem with these files is that cannot be removed by either DOS or Windows. Microsoft says you must use a third-party program; I use Norton DiskEdit for such tasks. (Norton DE is one of the few things I still like in the Norton family since Peter retired and Symantec has messed things up.)

ScanReg will do you absolutely no good. It only scans the registry and attempts some fixes there, and it serves as a registry backup/restore program. It does nothing about the disk, and its directory structure and files. In particular, it cannot restore any lost files.

You might try restoring win.com from the DIR000xx file if it is complete. It should be 24,791 bytes. But even if you restore it, other needed files may be missing or incomplete because of the disk problem that occurred.

Since this is a system file, you might try System File Restore. Go to Run and type in SFR. You will need your Win98 disk unless all the cab files were stored on your hard drive and there is a pointer to them. If that fails, I fear backup restore or a reinstall will be needed.

Frank

Collapse -
win.com from the DIR000xx is complete

In reply to: Lost file and DIR000xx

win.com from the DIR000xx is complete. It is 24,791 bytes. The problem is I can only boot from boot disk and dos commands don't seem to all work. I can do a dir on c: and found all those DIR000xx dir. They all seem to be complete. I'll have to check with another machine running 98se.I have one, as the one I'm working on is my sons. If I have to reinstall windows what would be the best way to do it? The HD is FAT32 with C: & D: . If I format C: will that also erase D:? Thanks for the ideas. I guess there was a power interupt because it was working in the A.M. but was dead after work. Machine was always on.

Collapse -
Windows restore

In reply to: win.com from the DIR000xx is complete

I am not surprised that there are problems other than the missing win.com file. Whenever there are lost clusters, there are often more than one file involved.

I would next try the System File Checker; it may replace the other corrupted files. If not, the next choice would to restore from a backup. The newer the backup, the fewer uodates you will need.

If you must reinstall, and if you have a Microsoft disk, it is not too hard and you may not need to format the drive. But to be safe, do a full backup of both partitions first. You may also need your product key. If you have misplaced it, you can find it (for Win 9x systems) in the registry. Go to Run>regedit and scroll to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Open this and scroll down the right hand pane to find the Product Key.

If you do not have a MS disk, but instead have a ''Restore Disk'' from the manufacturer, anything can happen. Some will let you reinstall much like the MS disk, but som will reformat the disk before installing. In this case, good backups are imperative.

Also, if you reinstall, you go back to Windows of 1999 or 2000. You must then download all the patches and critical updates from support.microsoft.com.

I suggest that you read the procedures given at this site:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,pg,1,00.asp

Frank

Collapse -
System File Checker

In reply to: Windows restore

I have the windows 98 disk & product key #'s
I can't go to run and type anything. I am running from boot disk with c:\> prompt.(DOS) Have CD-Rom support and tried running setup from windows disk but it hangs up when it starts loading
Harvey

Collapse -
That's a bad sign.

In reply to: System File Checker

If you boot from the boot diskette with cd-rom support, you can type d:\setup (or r:\setup) directly from the a> prompt, but running from c> should work also. And the setup should run practically independent of what's on the disk. In fact, it runs if the disk is empty, and gets everything it needs from the cd.

I would start with scandisk c: from the bootdiskette. If that gives no errors and setup still doesn't work bite the bullit and format c:. If it still doesn't work then, it's some hardware problem.

Which reminds me, you started this post by telling you couldn't get into Safe Mode, but never told why you wanted to do so in the first place. I suppose you had some trouble. Could it be that that trouble is related to this trouble? Tell more about the recent history of your PC.

Kees

Collapse -
what happened

In reply to: That's a bad sign.

I guess there was a power interupt because it was working in the A.M. but was dead after work. Machine was always on. When turned back on, it couldn't find windows.

Collapse -
Just do a re-install

In reply to: what happened

I think you would save more time just doing a re-install. If you have the install CD and the bootdisk, just boot from the boot disk with the CD in. Be sure to select bootup with CD support, at bootup, and then at the A:/ prompt, type setup. Select to keep your existing system files, when asked, during setup.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!