Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 98 Troubleshooters

by morph / May 5, 2005 2:04 PM PDT

Running: Win98SE, IE6
In the course of trying to resolve a startup problem, I tried to access the troubleshooters in Windows 98 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooter (in Windows Help). To my dismay, every one of the troubleshooters was inactive (produced blank screen). How can I activate the troubleshooters? Thank you
Windows Help> Contents> Troubleshooting> Windows 98 Troubleshooters> (any item listed)> (any troubleshooter listed)> blank screen...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 Troubleshooters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 Troubleshooters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This explains why...
by Blue_Zee / May 5, 2005 5:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
This is great...
by Christine2 / May 5, 2005 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: This explains why...

...after years without troubleshooters, it's working again! It was the second option that did it for me. Thank you so much.

Christine

Collapse -
Great!
by Blue_Zee / May 6, 2005 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: This is great...

I'm glad you liked that.

Zee

Collapse -
Thank you for that link
by Aenea / May 6, 2005 11:54 AM PDT

The 2nd option you provided has also given me a Troubleshooter that works again!

Aenea

Collapse -
Trouble shooters
by rmcarl / May 6, 2005 2:10 PM PDT

I'm having a problem with trouble shooters also. I do not have the above mentioned critical updates installed. The trouble shooters that list problems that you put a tick at the front of problem responds with a blank page. Others work OK. I have reinstalled TSHOOT.INF to no avail. What now? Your second option is a zipped file and I do not have any way of unzipping it.

Collapse -
Winzip?
by Blue_Zee / May 6, 2005 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Trouble shooters
Collapse -
Winzip?
by rmcarl / May 7, 2005 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Winzip?

No I don't have it and do not download files that need unzipped. Tell me how to delete the entry in the registry that disabled ActiveX controls in the TSHOOT.OCX file. I'll take my chances with an attack.

Collapse -
Weird...
by Blue_Zee / May 7, 2005 1:15 AM PDT

You don't download zipped files, but are willing to expose your system to a security risk?

Sorry, but I don't get it.

Zee

Collapse -
Winzip?
by rmcarl / May 7, 2005 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Weird...

Hey, I'm 75 years old and servived 3 cancers. What's a little computer security risk?

Collapse -
Just curious...
by Blue_Zee / May 7, 2005 4:05 AM PDT

Why not download and install that zipped file?

Zee

Collapse -
Just curious
by rmcarl / May 7, 2005 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Just curious...

You say it is easy enough to delete the entry in the registry that disabled ActiveX controls in the TSHOOT.OCX file. So how do I do it?

Collapse -
Here's the 2 I use (graphic picture of each)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 9:42 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!