Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 98 SE re-installation w/o format of hard drive

by grandpajim / September 17, 2004 2:34 PM PDT

My Windows 98 SE has become corrupt (some critical files) and I must re-install it. I wish to re-install without formatting the hard drive. I have heard of a way to do this without formatting, but I don't know how (this is a feature available in Windows XP).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 SE re-installation w/o format of hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 SE re-installation w/o format of hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows 98 SE re-installation w/o format of hard drive
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2004 6:06 PM PDT

First be sure that either your Windows 98 CD is bootable (they seem to exist) or that you have a boot diskette that enables you to run a program (setup) from the Windows 98 cd. And that you have all necessary drivers for your hardware on diskette, on CD or on the hard disk.

Then make a copy of all data you want to keep from the Windows folder (such as your e-mail, Internet favorites, special fonts) and Program Files (such as a custom made normal.dot). It seems to makes sense to copy \windows\inf also, because it might contain drivers you don't have on CD, but I prefer the original.

Then boot into MS-DOS and use deltree command to delete both Windows and Program Files folders (use the short filenames or the long one enclosed in quotes).

Then boot from the boot diskette and install Windows again. I don't think setup will propose to use a folder windows.000 for that, but if it does reject that proposal and make in windows again.

This seems a nice time to do a full defrag.

Then install the drivers for the hardware Windows didn't yet detect. Then install anti-virus (and firewall), install your Internet-connection and visit windows update for all security patches. Then update your anti-virus, and do a full scan.
Then install all your application programs (from CD or the Internet).

This way you will be able to save all your data (including music and photo's) you don't have on a backup medium. But I would advice to make a backup of those as soon as possible, because you might be able to recover Windows like this and keep your files, but you WON'T be able to recover from a hard-disk failure and keep your files. As Bob Proffitt uses to write: a hard disk is temporary storage only.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: re-installation
by reefurbb / September 17, 2004 11:44 PM PDT

Start>run>SFC. At default setting, this will check (somewhat) for corrupt Windows98 files and give you the option of restoring them from W98 CD.
Or if You know what files, you can use the option to "extract one file from CD".
However, not knowing why files got corrupted, the previous reply is good for a good reinstall.
Norton Utilities ($$)is good for fixes, ongoing fixes.
There are others, like PCbugdoctor. IF you are clean of viruses and malware-spyware.
A reinstall might not last long if what caused the corruption still exists.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?