Laptops forum

General discussion

Windows 98 SE fails to start, RAM issue?

by Crashdance22 / November 2, 2009 6:05 AM PST

I'm using a Compaq Presario V6000 and have installed Windows 98 SE successfully. It is currently the only OS on the HDD. At first I couldn't get past first time startup because I had 2GB of RAM, too much for vcache's settings. So I removed 1GB and set minfilecache and maxfilecache to 128MB in system.ini. This worked and I was able to set up the user name, system plug 'n play drivers, etc. Once I restarted the system I see DOS updating the config files and continuing to load Windows. But then the system just hangs. It doesn't freeze, as the cursor is still blinking. It just stops. So I do a hard restart and choose the normal startup mode in the "Windows did not start successfully" options. The screen goes blank and I see the startup options screen again, but this time the cursor is blinking in the upper left and DOS doesn't respond to the keyboard.

I try starting in safe mode but get the same problem, although this time I see HIMEM check extended memory and complete the check. Because I saw this, could this be another memory related issue? Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel 1.6GHz
RAM: 1GB, 2GB before I removed a stick
HDD: 80GB
Video: NVIDIA Go 6150

I've gotten this far with Windows 98, I hope I don't have to scrap it because of this. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 SE fails to start, RAM issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 SE fails to start, RAM issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 9x has issues with over 512MB RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 9:44 AM PST

If the articles fail to help why not run 98 in a VM? I did this under Windows XP using Virtual Box.
Bob

Collapse -
Hardware acceleration
by Crashdance22 / November 2, 2009 8:26 PM PST

I tried that, but no VM program support full 3D hardware acceleration for games. I was told that this is a memory problem, and Windows 98's memory manager is stubborn and only coded to work with 512MB ir less. Although I'm going to look into a RAMDisk app, once I find out what it is...

Collapse -
Then we move to VMWARE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: Hardware acceleration
Collapse -
Tried VMWare and VPC
by Crashdance22 / November 3, 2009 5:44 AM PST

Like I said, I couldn't find a virtual machine program with full 3D hardware acceleration for Windows 98. And Windows 2000 breaks several Win9x games as well.

System.ini is fine, that's not the problem. The issue is that the memory manager can't work with 1GB of physical memory (there's a 512MB limit). I'm reading into a RAMDisk program I can use to limit memory access to the memory manager. I'll try that and post my results.

Collapse -
RAM Disk works
by Crashdance22 / November 4, 2009 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Tried VMWare and VPC

I got the RAM drive installed, at first I set the size to 512MB, leaving another 512MB for Windows. Windows still didn't start, neither in normal mode or safe mode, but I could see where autoexec ran and created the RAM disk. I then changed the size to leave 128MB for Windows, the same amount as vcache's min and max values. This time safe mode (but not normal mode) started up! So I looked at the RAM, and it said 1GB (approximately, in megabytes). But doesn't vcache limit the system to 128MB? Or am I wrong about that? I also didn't see F:, my RAM drive. Does autoexec not run in safe mode?

I also looked at 2 log files, FRUNLOG.TXT and NETLOG.TXT (both found on C:\). Both have logs of missing file errors, FRUNLOG.TXT refers to missing DLLs in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS, but \OPTIONS doesn't even exist. NETLOG.TXT refers to missing DLLs in C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, but neither directory has a single DLL file in them. This may be what's causing Windows to hang... any particular reason why these files and folders are missing? Maybe setup was supposed to create them but failed?

Update: Ran System File Checker and Registry Checker, SFC only found and restored one file but Windows still doesn't start in normal mode. Looks like I'm going to scrap this and use an older machine. Thanks for the help guys.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?