General discussion

Windows 98 program on Windows xp

The program is called Front Page Sports: Football 98 by Sierra. I have Windows XP SP2.

When I try to install the program I get a message:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

Any help you can give me would be awesome. The program is old but I love the game. Thanks!

David

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 98 program on Windows xp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 98 program on Windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Windows 98 program on Windows xp

Try the instructions from the following MSKB article:

Q301911 - "How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP"

Also, check out the following article:

Q285909 - "How to Troubleshoot Program Compatibility Issues in Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Good advice, and also...

Good advice.

One additional point. The message you get suggests that it may be a DOS program, or utilize DOS components. That is not a problem as long as the DOS portion/program is "well-behaved" (i.e., makes calls on DOS services instead of directly accessing physical addresses....the latter was frequently done by game writers to gain speed.) WinXP has a DOS emulator that can handle a well-behaved DOS program.

If the program is not "well-behaved", you may have to install DOS or Win9x in a separate partition or keep the old computer...

- Collapse -
Read Part 1 and 2 at...
- Collapse -
had the issue. Solved it

Okay, I am going to be vague here, because frankly my memory is fuzzy.

The autoexec.nt file and the config.nt can sometimes be corrupted during install. Actually many time are, this is a known issue.

But since many people never need to use them, no one ever notices.

Here is the fix.

In the i386 directory of the XP media is a file called autecex.nt_
*copy it and any other files like config.nt that you want to replace to a folder

You will need to run the command line EXPAND tool on them. Then rename the old files with a .old extension and copy the new extracted files into their location.

- Collapse -
Or....

Run a Virtual PC of Win 98.

CNET Forums

Forum Info