Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

windows 98 or windows xp on MAC OS 9

by 070352765 / March 1, 2007 8:24 AM PST

Hi,
I would like to ask, how can I install windows 98 or windows xp on iMac G3 233Mhz with MAC OS 9 installed. I'll appreciate a lot if you can help me.
Thanks in advance.
Greetings.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 98 or windows xp on MAC OS 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 98 or windows xp on MAC OS 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely cant be done
by iburkhart13 / March 1, 2007 9:00 AM PST

You need a intel processor (Usually will be running OS X, new mac(Jan. 2006-present)) to run a windows based operating system. If it is a intel processor then you will nedd boot camp or parallels.

Collapse -
The old method was Virtual PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 9:25 AM PST
Collapse -
just out of curiosity,
by boya84 / March 1, 2007 12:23 PM PST

Why?

Collapse -
I have old iMac
by 070352765 / March 3, 2007 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: just out of curiosity,

Becouse I'm feeling adventurous and I spent almost one week trying to find out a way to solve this problem but without results. And I said to myself, ok, I'll find some discussion group and will ask about it. So, this confirmed that installing windows 98 or xp on Mac os 9 is very difficult and maybe impossible.

Collapse -
Bottom Line
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 3, 2007 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: I have old iMac

Unless you are using an emulation program, like Virtual PC by Microsoft, it is IMPOSSIBLE to install any Windows operating system on a G3 Mac.

P

Collapse -
ok, one more question
by 070352765 / March 3, 2007 2:21 AM PST

Ok, thanks for the informations, I would like to ask one more question if someone has ever tryed to install other OS (e.g windows, linux) with Bochs(http://bochs.sourceforge.net) on iMac G3 233Mhz, and what were the results? Do you know some web sites where can I download MAC OS X older then 10.3 version (e.g 10.2.8)

Collapse -
The MacOS is copyrighted material.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2007 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: ok, one more question

If there is a legitimate download site it will be somewhere on apple.com

Bob

Collapse -
Another Bottom Line
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 3, 2007 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: ok, one more question

There is no support for Bochs running under a PPC processor. It has been done but is not recommended.
With only 233Mhz to play with, running Bosch and then Windows on top of that, would be better suited for someone with a name like Job.

OS X can be obtained easily from www.apple.com. All you need is a credit card, an available $99 and you are set to go.

There is no such thing as a downloadable OS X.

P

Collapse -
Nisus Writer
by 070352765 / March 4, 2007 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: Another Bottom Line

My dear friend, if I had had 99$ I would have bought an old pentium 3 or 4. So, I would have had windows and I wouldn't have spent one week installing windows on my iMac. But it would be nice if you recommend me some free software for text editing such as Nisus Writer.
Greetings
Mitko

Collapse -
If you insist, then I recommend Nisus Writer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Nisus Writer

as a free text editor. I also recommend TeachText.

I really did miss the part of this thread where you asked for free software recommendations.

I should point out that now that you have Windows running on your iMac, Nisus Writer is a Mac only program.

What really would be interesting though, is an account of how you installed windows on your iMac.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!