Computer Help forum

General discussion

windows 98 only boot in safe mode

Hi Guys, please help me out.

I got a desktop from my friend recently which he do not want. Just reformat and reinstall windows 98. I can only get it to boot in safe mode. For the normal mode, it will just hang after i press 'esc' to get out of the username and password dialog box.

amd athlon xp 1500+, 2x 256 sd ram 133hz, asus a9250 agp 128mb.

rgds
mosay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 98 only boot in safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 98 only boot in safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try

In reply to: windows 98 only boot in safe mode

Starting the computer in the safe mode and then try running scandisk?

Restart the computer, what happens?

Rick

Collapse -
Installing 98 is now something like alchemy.

Almost magic. One must master editing autoexec.bat, config.sys files, know how to locate drivers and troubleshoot 98's startup. Here's a starter article for you -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q188867/

Remember you are going back over a decade and if you think troubleshooting XP was fun, this one only adds more things you must know.
Bob

Collapse -
How about Win XP

I tried win xp. It cant boot too. Normally there will be a win xp screen, with colorful bars running, indicating that the pc is booting up. For my case, I saw some bars moving too, but it is in black and white. All I saw was a black screen after that.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Sounds Like Hardware Is Failing Or...

In reply to: How about Win XP

It could be a number of things including a lack of drivers which are required to be installed for ALL the hardware on the computer.. (You MUST install video drivers, audio drivers, chipset/motherboard drivers, ethernet and dial-up modem drivers, etc.) Or if you've done all that, then it may be failing hardware such as a bad video card or maybe the entire motherboard if it's an integrated video.

We'll need a lot more details as to what you've done to give much more..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Maybe

In reply to: Sounds Like Hardware Is Failing Or...

Appreciate for all the help. I cant even enter windows, let alone install all the drivers. Notice there is some capacitors with slight deformed on the mainboard. Is that the reason? But Im just curious why it can only boot in win 98 safe mode, the only way to get into windows. Hmm. Anything to do with Bios settings? I know nothing much about Bios.

How do I know which hardware fails? I do know how to assemble and as long as the thing is working, I assume its okay.

Not using any usb. Using a external agp graphics card. Maybe I should swap the graphics card.

Thanks alot guys.

Mos

Collapse -
Yep, Deformed Capacitors Is NOT A Good Thing...

In reply to: Maybe

If the mobo is damaged, it could easily explain why the machine starts to falter when put under any kind of stress such as "normal" Windows.

As to where to start with hardware, it's a toss up.. If you're seeing damage on the motherboard, that's a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
win xp

Okay. Let talk about win xp. I set my first boot device in Bios as cd-rom, put in my installation disk for xp, did a quick format for ntfs, install all the files. After the setup, the computer restart, and all I had there was a black screen after waiting for so long.

mos

Collapse -
Since you tried XP...

In reply to: win xp

And it's a black screen think over if any USB device is plugged in. Hint? Unplug that.

Now what about those drivers XP needs after you get the first video up?

If no video, go find a Linux CD to install and test.
Bob

Collapse -
win xp boot

No usb

Can anyone tell me how to boot in xp? cant boot in neither normal nor safe mode.

mos

Collapse -
So far this machine does not run XP.

In reply to: win xp boot

Some machines can't run XP. Try Linux next and if it doesn't run then there is something broken.

Collapse -
Sorry I missed it.

In reply to: So far this machine does not run XP.

"capacitors with slight deformed on the mainboard."

Type BAD CAPS on google to learn the full story. This is so far 100% fatal to boards around here since the repair cost exceeds the price of a good new board.
Bob

Collapse -
Weird

The weird thing is, it can boot in Win 98 safe mode. Lol. Anyway, faint.

Mos

Collapse -
Not wierd at all. EXPECTED. here's why.

In reply to: Weird

You need to know that in safe mode it's like a car that I only let you tap the throttle to the engine at some 2 per cent. You wouldn't find out the engine would die under load.

There is a reason for this and sadly we all know why your machine does this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.