Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 98 firewall suggestions

Hey I got a win 98 machine and having great diff finding firewalls compatible with win 98.

Suggestions warmly welcome!

TIA.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 firewall suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 firewall suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
older ZA for win98se Link

In reply to: Windows 98 firewall suggestions

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

Get 4.5 branch; I have not had good luck with the newer versions on Win98 computers. This is a very basic firewall. It was released in 2004 and can not stop everything but the newer versions seem to cause crashes for win98 computers. It has a good startup walk through, don't skip it. It will be a pain at first but will run unnoticed once you set it up with your programs. There maybe better firewalls out there but I can only say what has worked for me. 3 of the computers I installed the newer versions in locked up completely and one computer ran for 2 weeks and then started turning itself on when no one was around. Pulled the newer versions out and all computers were fine. Re-installed older version and all is well. An old firewall is better than no firewall.
Collapse -
Windows 98 se firewall

In reply to: older ZA for win98se Link

I dont use a firewall with my Windows 98 se, However, I only go on the internet for windows and Java updates which I've done only twice. The rest of the time I don't even keep it hooked up to the internet. I use my xp or vista machine to do all my web surfing and e-mails.

Collapse -
Windows 98 firewall suggestions

I've run w98 on this machine for close to 7 yrs....sans firewall.

Nothing bad has happened.

Your need for one to protect this dos OS may depend on what your doing and whether you practice safe HEX.

As has been mentioned and from what I have read the older versions of ZA will function and not cause a fuss.

Collapse -
You're lucky nothing has happened.

In 2003, I put a firewall on my Windows 98 machine the day after someone hacked into my home computer over the internet after I had left it connected all night. I was using virus protection, but no firewall.

They renamed the "My Documents" folder to "Hacked by ------" and I can't remember now who ------ was. At first I thought the folder was deleted when I couldn't find my files, but this person was nice and just renamed the folder instead of doing something really nasty.

Any computer user who does not use a firewall runs a risk of theft or damage to hackers. It takes valuable time to deal with these things after the fact - even if you are prepared. It's easier and cheaper to just use a firewall.

Collapse -
Lucky?

In reply to: You're lucky nothing has happened.

Perhaps.
It's coming up on 9 yrs and I'm still lucky.

Turn off sharing and w98 is a pretty tough nut to crack.

I suspect you left a door open and someone waltzed in.

Collapse -
Luck has nothing to do with this one.

In reply to: You're lucky nothing has happened.

Unlike later versions of Windows, the DOS based Windows with one single patch can not be compromised via external attacks.

It's a tough, deep conversation with some erupting in flames but there is nothing here to attack or get into from the outside here. Let's hope that people continue to dig how this old OS works.
Bob

Collapse -
Lucky Patch

In reply to: Luck has nothing to do with this one.

What is the one single patch?

EMc

Collapse -
Windows update gets it.

In reply to: Lucky Patch

But if you didn't enable file sharing you don't need the patch!

Collapse -
Try Outpost (Free) from Agnitum

I can strongly recommend the Free version of Outpost from Agnitum. It's faster starting than ZA. It's a bit difficult to find on the Agnitum site so go straight to it here and they will email you a link to download it from: http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/index.php

One other thing... after installing it you get a message to say that there is an upgrade available... if you accept this, it turns out to be the Pay version that times out in 30 days so don't update, just check the box to say not to ask again.

Collapse -
Win98 Firewall

Zone Labs ZoneAlarm is still a good pick for a free firewall. The latest version that works with Win98 is 6.1.744.001 which can be found here - http://www.oldapps.com/old_version_download_ZoneAlarm.php.

I just found that out after "reviving" an older pc I have. It never had an ethernet port, bought a pci card and I updated everything I could. (after 3 years in retirement)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.