Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 98 error message........

I boot up my pc and keeep getting the following message and windows 98 will nt load:

NOT ENOUGH EXTENDED MEMORY AVAILABLE TO RUN WINDOWS

and I cannot boot into windows.

I tried the Microsoft knowledge base solution for the error message but it didn't work.

Windows 98SE
20 ig hard drive...10 ig used
383.00 RAM

Any ideas...thanks in advance
Simon..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 error message........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 error message........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: not enough extended memory

In reply to: Windows 98 error message........

If you have 384 Mb RAM, you've got about 383 Mb extended memory, which should be more than enough (Windows 98 runs perfectly in 32 Mb). So obviously something is wrong.

Please:
1. Post what MSKB article you read about this error, what you tried and what happened.
2. The contents of \config.sys (use type \config.sys after booting in MS-DOS)
3. The output of the mem-program (type mem after booting in MS-DOS). I'm sitting behind my trusted Win 95 computer now, it has good old mem in c:\windows\command, and I assume Windows 98 also has it. With me, it shows (run from the command prompt in Windows):
- 640 kB conventional memory
- 82 kB upper memory
- 384 kB reserved
- 48.0046 kB extended (XMS)
It's a mystery, because I only have 16 + 32 = 48.0 kB total, and also a mystery to have 47.884 KB of the extended memory free while have two windows of IE open, but still it might be useful to get a view of your system.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Extended memeory

In reply to: Re: not enough extended memory

Thanks for getting back to me...

The MSKB articel was at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311367

I did everything it said but no joy!

When I type MEM in dos it says:

Conventional Total 639K Used 87K Free 552K
Extended (XMS) Total 65,472K Used 65,472K Free 0K

This shouldn't be right, should it..?

Config.sys says:

device=c:/windows/COMMAND/display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,c:/COMMAND/country.sys

Except the forward slashes are really backslashes as my button has broke on keyboard...

Any ideas...
Thanks in advance

Simon..

Collapse -
Extended Memory

In reply to: Extended memeory

Windows requires that Himem.sys load successfully to enable access to extended memory. I've seen several instances where Windows reported that C:\Windows\Himem.sys was missing when, in actual fact, the problem was a faulty connection to the keyboard (Himem.sys uses a line on the keyboard controller to control memory). Since you've already got one broken key, there's a good chance more is wrong with the keyboard--try a replacement.

If, with a different keyboard, Mem.exe still only reports 64 MB and your BIOS boot screen says the same, you might try reseating your RAM and/or swapping the sticks around in the slots. With 384 MB, you've probably got 3x128 sticks so try pulling all out and then booting with one stick at a time to see if you've got a bad one.

John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what happens when you try safe mode?

In reply to: Windows 98 error message........

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.