General discussion

Windows 98 CD-ROM on Windows XP?

Is there a way to run a Windows 98 CD-ROM in an XP operating system? Or is there a way to extract the data from a Windows 98 CD-ROM and use it differently on XP? Or is there a Win 98 emulator that I can buy or download to use this CD-ROM?

Thank you very much.

Stefano

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 98 CD-ROM on Windows XP?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 98 CD-ROM on Windows XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Should "just work"

Unless this is a CD your burned using packet writing software (i.e. formatting it, and using it like a floppy), in which case you'll need special reader software, which is a big reason why you should avoid such programs. They also wear out discs faster, so they're not so good for backups either.

More details about this CD that won't work are going to be necessary if the above isn't the situation.

- Collapse -
But it does not

The CD-ROM was released in Italy in 1997. It contains a data base with Italian literature. It was sold together wit a floppy disk for an update from Win 95 to Win 98. If I insert the floppy disk in the computer, the computer does not read it (it says it needs to be formatted). When I insert the actual CD-ROM, the installation starts. But after a while it says that FREQ_AB (which is an image) is missing (and yet is there, in the CD!). And the installation failes. I have tryed in many different computer in our library (I work in Philadelphia), but without any result.

Thank you.

- Collapse -
Two possibilities

At least as I see it.

#1: The CD and floppy are both damaged, and won't ever work.

#2: The CD is using Italian characters and such in the file name, and the English version of Windows is having difficulty dealing with them since they pre-date Unicode.

In the latter case, you might be able to install an Italian version of Windows in an emulator, but I don't know what good it would do you. Your best bet is probably to contact the company that produced the CD and ask them if they could either send you another or maybe send you an updated version.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Compatibility wizard ?
- Collapse -
Depending on how critical...

CNET Forums

Forum Info