Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 98 blank screen

by Andrew11 / March 26, 2005 8:12 AM PST

Hi, I am running windows 98 with a Compaq Presario computer, I downloaded some spyware programs and ran them through, they wanted to charge me so I removed them, the last one was spycleaner gold but this one I did not remove (it seemed to find many virus?s, before this I was running adaware and spybot w/o any problems). Now when I boot up I have an explorer error message, another message (the following items have been replaced with older versions c:\windows\system\ddrawex.dll) and my background screen comes up and mouse but nothing else. I have tried a quick restore but it gives me error messages and it does not work, I have some important files that I do not want to lose. I called Microsoft and they cannot seem to help, they tried scanreg, parallel install and over the top install, can any one help or have any tips, will Nortons or another program help out. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 blank screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 blank screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If file/folder recovery is your intent....
by Michael Geist / March 26, 2005 10:37 AM PST

and then a clean install of 98 (why such an old and clunky OS?), you have a number of options:

1) Move the hard drive to another machine as a second drive, copy and paste away.
2) Knoppix can be used in a number of ways.(http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)

Collapse -
see if you can find answer here...
by dfwpilot / March 26, 2005 10:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows 98 blank screen
by jkp / March 26, 2005 4:27 PM PST

Try booting in safe mode and using Find Files for any incorrect/missing files. You may be able to copy the file to its correct location from a backup location. Ddrawex.dll should be in C:\Windows\Sysbckup as well as in C:\Windows\System.

You might also find a copy in C:\Windows\VCM if you restored an older version by doing a Windows reinstall. If that is the case, click Start->Run and enter VCM in the box (stands for Version Conflict Manager). Try restoring the later versions that show up in VCM.

As long as you can get up in safe mode, you can copy your important files to floppy (WinZip, WinRAR, etc. would be a help).

I suspect SpyCleaner Gold might have more than a little to do with your problems. Before you try any more antispyware programs, check out this page: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Good luck,

John

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 26, 2005 10:03 PM PST
Now when I boot up I have an explorer error message, another message (the following items have been replaced with older versions c:\windows\system\ddrawex.dll) and my background screen comes up and mouse but nothing else.

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

==and==

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

4. I see you only mention the file ddrawex.dll which is explained in "Q216505" and that may not it itself prevent Windows from running but rather it is the initial error which was not given, "How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (Q129605)."

5. Will the computer not start in Safe Mode? Since M$ got involved there isn't any way to know whether you'll get it to run again without starting from scratch.
Collapse -
Re
by Andrew11 / March 30, 2005 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

I have excatly the same problem in safe mode.

Collapse -
Okay.
by Cursorcowboy / March 30, 2005 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re

1. What, if anything, have you done concerning the procedures explaned in the section titled "Cannot start Windows", my reference #2, original thread?

2. If nothing else, ascertain whether that file is even present on the system by booting with the Startup disk, changing to the Windows\System folder, type the MS-DOS command Dir /p and then press ENTER, and then look? Note the displayed information for that file.

3. Then change to the folder "Windows\Sysbckup" to see if that file is also listed. Compare your notes against this file's information and should it be newer or larger in size than that previous, copy it from this folder to the Windows\System folder and replace that file.

4. Restart the system without the Startup disk and let us know what happens.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.